Straight From the Source: A Fashion Student Talks Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Noemi Rodriguez has loved fashion her entire life, and like many of us girls, loves to go shopping. But putting together a fabulous outfit takes quite a bit of talent – and Noemi has that. Read her thoughts on the fashion industry below!

HCTX: How did you know you wanted to get into fashion?
Noemi: I always loved to play dress up when I was little girl, and I would create clothes for my Barbies out of the clothes I didn’t want anymore.

HCTX: Which designers inspire you the most?
Noemi: I love Carolina Herrera and Christian Dior equally. I believe my style is very elegant and chic, so fashion designers like them bring out my personality and true colors.

HCTX: Have you ever designed any clothing?
Noemi: Aside from the “dresses” I would make for my Barbies, I also made a dress for my Fine Arts Appreciation final, in which we had to do something 3D. I’m no sculptor, so I made a dress.

HCTX: As a student in the School of Human Ecology, what would you say is most difficult about majoring in anything fashion-related?
Noemi: I’m a retail merchandising major and that takes more math and science courses, but that isn’t the hard part. You have to be up-to-date on all the trends going on and remember past ones as well. It can be a bit hectic to do, but if you love it, it’s not bad; it’s actually a part of your life.

Also, I guess in retail merchandising the hard thing would be to know or guess which brands or trends will sell to which market, i.e. what styles will appeal to the teens.

HCTX: What fashion work have you done?
Noemi: I just joined the University Fashion Group this semester, and I have helped backstage at some local fashion shows as a dresser which was a really unique experience.

HCTX: Once you graduate with your degree, what are your aspirations in the industry of fashion?
Noemi: I hope to work more along the lines of a fashion marketer. I would love to market new designers and give them the opportunity to expand and become successful, like my boyfriend’s sister’s line, Fetiche by Angelica Maria Rivera Diaz, an up-and-coming fashion designer from Puerto Rico.

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.