Round Up Survival Guide: 2017 Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Round Up Survival Guide

As spring break comes to an end that only means one thing for us Longhorns: round up is upon us. For anyone who doesn’t know, round up is a weekend full of binge drinking, glitter, sharpie tats, jerseys and frat parties. It can be the best of times, but it also has potential to be the worst of times. So, for first timers, or people who may have had a bad experience in the past, try out these tips this year, and may the luck be ever in your favor this year.

1.     HYDRATE

Y’all, you are going to be outside day drinking, beginning as early as noon if your dedicated, so you need to drink water. Hopefully it is sunny this year as opposed to last year’s cold front and rain, so that means on top of drinking all day long you will likely also be in the sun. Stay hydrated people (with more than just alcohol).

2.     Beware of cops!

Cops DO go inside frat parties and DO card you and DO write tickets. Be aware of your surroundings and be smart. Cops will not feel bad writing you an MIP/MIC (minor in possession/consumption) ticket so be sure you are periodically looking around to make sure the ghost is clear.

3.     Arrive early

If you really want to see whatever random rap artist at Sig Ep and doors open at 7 PM, do not get there at 7 PM and expect to get in. These parties hit capacity quick and the fire marshal does not mess around. Arrive early and hang on to your friends cause the lines can get crazy sometimes.

4.     Use the buddy system

Austin in general is sketchy, so this should not just be a round up tip but an everyday tip. Keep track of your friends and don’t wander off alone or let a friend wander off alone. After an evening of drinking the last thing you want to happen is some weirdo messing with you on your walk back to your apartment. Be safe!

5.     If your friend is coming from out of town make sure they get a wristband before

IFC announces when they will be giving out bands and which locations have non-UT student bands. They are usually like $20 and everyone needs to have a band of some sort to get into everything so make sure they get here early to pick one up.

6.     EAT!

Same as hydration, you cannot go all day binge drinking and not eat. The alcohol will catch up to you way too fast and it is never fun. So, try to make it to the crawfish boils during the day, or there are other sorority bbq’s open to the public both days before festivities begin. Bottom line: get some food in your belly!

7.     If you have a test the week after round up, start studying early

Even the most dedicated of students will rarely fit in study time this weekend. But of course, the week after round up is a common testing week. So, study before because you likely won’t get anything done Friday and Saturday, and will probably be hung over on Sunday.

8.     Have fun!

Round up is an awesome UT tradition and is a lot of fun. Enjoy yourself and the West Campus community, but be safe! Be aware of your surroundings, look after your friends and don’t do anything too crazy!

Socialite, blogger, perfectionist; suffering from fomo and currently attending the University of Texas at Austin. Advertising major and member of Zeta Tau Alpha fraternity.