The Mighty Mini

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

The Mini is mighty and persistent. It began in the 1960‘s, when Twiggy modeled in a plaid skirt suit and the hem hit just a few inches above the knee. The mini was then contested, not when model Jean Shrimpton chose to wear it in the 1970’s, but when she chose to wear nothing underneath it. She forwent the chastity that panty hoses afford and soon people knew that beneath her tweed skirt were all legs, baby, and nothing else. The 80’s were a rebellious time for most, so the miniskirt was right at home. Madonna used it to scandalize audiences at the MTV Music Video Awards (scandal at the awards seems to be a trend of it’s own now) and high school cheerleaders took inspiration from the mini for their red and white stripped uniforms. Julia Roberts took us into the next century with an iconic ensemble of a red mini paired with thigh high boots in Pretty Woman. And now, fast forward to 2015, and the skirt has returned to it’s purest form and can be seen everywhere on campus; from the SAC to the FAC, sixpack and beyond. Faux suede and A-line, and very, very short, the modern miniskirt continues to be fashion’s funnest problem child. Here’s how to repeat history; 

1. God Save the Seude 

2. Pretty Pattern 

3. Denim Duty 

4. 50 Shades of Gray

5. Lady in Leather