This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Imagine being able to tour the country, stand on stage under a spotlight, make people laugh, be sarcastic on television, and getting the chance to write and direct a movie. Did I mention that you get paid to do this? These days not all people that set out to be comedians make a living out of it. While many on this Earth believe they have the ability to be funny, it takes someone who was born with true talent to really make people laugh.  Last year the University of Texas welcomed comedian Bo Burnham and musical artist Common to the Student Activity Center, and this year we are lucky enough to have booked funny man Michael Ian Black.

While making his living touring the country with his stand up comedy, Black also appeared on television shows, wrote, and directed a movie. He began his comedic career with the sketch comedy The State, at New York University in 1988.  The college skit-turned-MTV broadcast ran for two years, but it wasn’t the end of comedy for Black.  He went on to become co-creator of the shows “Viva Variety” and “Stella” while making appearances on NBC’s “Ed.”  You may have seen him whip out sarcastic and dry comments concerning pop culture on the “I Love the” series on VH1.  Black was a regular jokester on the popular television show appearing on the ‘70s, ‘80s, and ‘90s versions.

Another major accomplishment of Black’s was writing and directing his first film, “Wedding Daze” (2006).  His personal life is accomplished as well, considering he is married with two children and has some sweet poker skills. He has even appeared on Celebrity Poker Showdown playing to win money for charities such as MAZON and Endeavor House Charity. 

Whether standing on a stage, in front of, or behind a camera, Michael Ian Black delivers witty comedic performance.  If you’re interested in seeing him in action on October 6th check out the Student Events Center’s webpage for more information. 

Information Source: http://www.michaelianblack.net/.

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.