Gigglepants Guru: Allison O’Conor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

A show like SNL can last for 40 seasons because of its ability to continuously make an audience laugh. Laughter is one of those simple joys that can never be too appreciated and is always needed. UT Sophomore Allison O’Conor knows all about the power of laughter as a member of Gigglepants a comedy improv group on campus!

How did you get started with improv comedy?

· My older brother got me into it! When I was starting my first year at UT, he was starting his last, and had been active in Gigglepants for three years already. He encouraged me to audition for the troupe, and although I had my reservations about seemingly “following in his footsteps”, I did (and I couldn’t be happier).

At what point in your life did you realize that you were made for comedy? Did you develop into it, or were you born with humorous genes?

· Woah woah woah this seems like a trick question. Stop trying to make me brag. Really though, I never saw myself as someone who would do comedy or perform, but I’ve always been a pretty silly person. Growing up, my dad was a huge jokester, and I think I learned from him that humor is often the best way to connect with people and deal with stuff.

What comedians would you compare your humor to, and which have you drawn inspiration from?

· It’s hard to compare yourself to your role models, but I look up to a lot of comedians and I can only hope that anything I do reflects the work that they do. I kind of idolize a lot of women who have made it in comedy because, unfortunately, comedy is still somewhat of a boys’ club and we are still overcoming this dumb stigma that “women aren’t funny”. That being said, I really admire Aidy Bryant, Cecily Strong and the other women of SNL, Mindy Kaling, Lena Dunham…And obviously Tina and Amy. I would sell my soul to those ladies.

What goes through your head when you are put on the spot during a show?

·  A lot! One thing I’ve learned from improv is that it’s impossible to think of nothing. The best scenes are ones where you don’t have to think too much at all.

What is a favorite improv moment or scene you have had with GigglePants?

· Gigglepants is one of the most supportive environments I’ve ever been a part of, and in a community like ours, the list of favorite moments is a long one. My most favorite improv moments usually happen in practice. Gigglepants practices twice a week, and during those times we try to challenge ourselves and try new things. Sometimes scenes can get weird and sometimes they’re just downright bad; but when you “fail” in improv, and especially in Gigglepants, you’re failing with your friends.

Where do you see GigglePants taking you?

· For me, Gigglepants has opened a door to being more creative and open-minded in other aspects of life. I think the main thing I have gained from Gigglepants is a rad group of very smart, supportive, creative friends who inspire me to throw myself into random projects just because.  

I am Corisa but a lot of my friends call me Cori! I feel like the real life Hannah Horvath from Girls.