Getting Through the First Round

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

It’s about that time again. For most of us, the perilous first round of tests, project due dates and papers has arrived. The post-winter break and Valentine’s afterglow may have left you refreshed, but by now, that can-do attitude has surely dissipated. As the deadlines draw near, you can feel yourself slipping back into your old habits: reaching for the sweatpants, grabbing the oversized t-shirts, and “trendy” athletic shorts. Those exercise resolutions made less than two months ago, left abandoned and forlorn.

You’re letting yourself go.

As a fellow Collegiette™, the exact same thing is happening to me. Between my constant trips back to Houston to see my family each weekend, rigorous work and school schedule, recruiting and organizational responsibilities, I have been feeling burnt out lately. To get me through the next couple of weeks, here are a couple things that I’m looking forward to doing when the opportunities arise. 

Keeping my streak going
I have not dressed sloppily since the end of my sophomore year of college. For me, this basically translates into: never going out in public the way I would dress at home. Each day, I make the simple effort to put on at least one piece of fun jewelry, natural make-up, real pants, and a cute top. For me, it’s about boosting my confidence and keeping my streak going. If I go for just one day, the work that I’ve done for the past 9 months is scrapped. I’m sure some of you feel the same way about some other things: exercise, schoolwork, studying, etc. 

It’s not something hard to do; in fact, dressing well is something that I really enjoy, but it’s definitely not always the most convenient thing. To reward myself for keeping my streak going, once in a while I try to buy myself something that I’ve been eyeing for some time like this ring from Kendra Scott Jewelry (she’s a local Austin jewelry designer that has been featured on sites like Gilt Groupe and O, The Oprah Magazine)!

If you don’t have a streak going, or if you’ve lost the resolution that you started this year with, I highly encourage you to start challenging yourself to undertake it again. Just remember to reward yourself when you get things right!

Making time for “Me Time”
Guilty pleasures—how could something that feels so wrong, be so right? I have several shameful confessions pertaining to this topic: I love watching hours of television (including Pretty Little Liars, Gossip Girl and Glee), I can eat an entire family size bag of Lay’s Barbeque chips in one day, I can shop for hours online on sample sites and I love to jam out to embarrassing music (like Avril Lavigne’s new song “What the Hell”). But with almost every second of my life mapped out on a Google Calendar, indulgence is not as easy as it sounds. Although this sounds like a blessing, it’s really not! Why? Because too much of anything (even productivity) isn’t a good thing for a gal. If I don’t relax and do the decadent things that I love to do, I end up feeling strung-out, cranky, irritable and almost certainly a bee-yotch. So speak to your inner bad girl, ditch that next student organization meeting to give yourself a mani/pedi at home and catch up on that show you’ve been missing. Being selfish isn’t necessarily always a bad thing.

So my advice to you, my endlessly diligent and academic Longhorn Collegiettes™, take the time to spoil and pamper yourself, body and soul.

Source:
Kendra Scott

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.