Eat, Style, Love: Hannah Leonard in Italy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

If I had a spirit animal, I’m more than 100% certain that it would be Hannah Leonard. It’s impossible not to admire someone whose fashion sensibilities would make Anna Wintour swoon. She is currently studying abroad in Florence, surrounded by stunning fashion, amazing food, architecture, and of course cute boys with accents.  (*insert jealous sighs here*). The amazing jetsetter took the time out of her busy schedule to answer some of my pressing questions about her Italian adventure. 

Name: Hannah Leonard

Year: Sophomore (class of 2016)

Major: Textiles and Apparel

Her Campus Texas: What inspired you to go to study abroad in Florence this semester and what are you doing while you’re there?

Hannah Leonard: I have been lucky enough to have parents and older siblings who taught me the importance of being adventurous, stepping miles out of your comfort zone, and taking opportunities when you see glimpses of them. This upbringing plus my near-obsession with fashion made me want to study in the mecca of both adventure and style, Florence. When I’m not stuffing my face with gelato, traveling to neighboring cities, and gawking at my beautiful surroundings, I am taking class at the Accademia Italiana (which by the way, is across the street from a palace). In fact, I’m taking a heavier course load then I would be in Austin, but I figure, if there’s one time and place where I want to cram in as many fashion classes as I can, it’s here and now.

HCTX: Why did you decide to pursue textiles and apparel as your major at UT (vs. other institutions; future career plans)?

HL: Honestly, I had the hardest decision choosing the school I thought was best for my future and me. It wasn’t as easy as most students at UT who grew up with some sort of Longhorn link—whether it be family, or even just living in Texas. Because I live nearly 3,000 miles away, it was the instant connection I felt at UT that drew me in. I knew the Textiles and Apparel major was quaint, but that’s what intrigued me. After doing a little research, I realized how successful and impressive each and every student in this major was upon graduation. I knew I could be at an Art Institute where every student is just like me, or I could be 1 of 50,000 diverse students at UT. All seriousness aside though, the 2nd biggest factor of my decision was football. And we all know where you go to school if you want to see some real football. 

As far as future plans go, everything is up-in-air right now, as most of you probably feel as well. If it was a perfect world, I would be launching my own line in New York Fashion Week upon graduation, well maybe a few years after graduation. For now, I’m focusing on learning the most I can in Florence, and then in New York this summer interning for two very successful designers. 

HCTX: What do you miss most about Austin?

HL: People that smile. A weird answer—I know. But, if you’ve even been to Italy, you’d know what I was talking about. I miss walking down Guad, or through West Mall, and having strangers smile at you. NOBODY smiles in Florence, which absolutely blows my mind because they are living in one of the most picturesque cities I have ever been to in my entire life. What’s not to smile about? Besides that, I’m really missing my friends (My Darlin Sisters), oh and Chik-Fil-A . 

HCTX: What’s something new that you’ve become obsessed with while you’ve been in Europe (fashion, food, etc.)?

HL: Besides Italian-made leather, shoes, fur, gelato, and men, I’ve really become intrigued with the Florentine lifestyle. I love that Italians center their life on family and family traditions. Also, REALLY obsessed with their schedules. Wake up late, leisurely make their way to work or school, have a two-hour lunch break for naps, and then a little more work and school to end the day. I’m thinking Texas should soon adapt and hop on that program. 

HCTX: What do you think you’ll take away from this experience?

HL: Even though I have only been in Florence for 5 weeks, I already have gained so much from living abroad. One goal I had for myself coming here was to de-Americanize myself the best I can for 5 months while I am here. I know that if/when I completely engulf myself into the Italian culture and language, I will grow so much as a designer and as a person. So many lasting memories will come from traveling to numerous countries, meeting people from all over the world, taking fashion courses in a language I don’t know, learning to cook like an Italian mamma, and stepping out of my comfort zone each day.