This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Hair. Teeth. World peace. If someone forced me to describe pageants in three terms, it would have to be these. The tradition of beauty and scholarship pageants seem about as American as apple pie and Longhorn football. While many picture dream-chasing mothers reprimanding toddlers in full faces of make up, Southern accents, and melodramatic winning faces followed by a frantic waving away of tears, these productions are a lot more than women drowned in rhinestones mastering that ever so smooth wave.

It has come to my attention that collegiettesTM everywhere are taking part in university pageants. These events often serve as preliminaries to their state’s Miss America affiliated competition, and ultimately to the Miss America pageant.

As we all learned in the movie Miss Congeniality, Miss America is not a beauty pageant—it’s a scholarship program. The Miss America Organization serves as the world’s leading provider of scholarships for young women in the world. Therefore, university pageants like the ones at the University of Mississippi, the University of Florida, and the University of Miami allow winners entrance into their respective state pageants and give young women the opportunity to enter the pageant world.

After an extensive search for an official Miss University of Texas pageant, I was left with no results. To say the least, I was shocked; UT is the most influential institution of higher learning statewide, and it seems as though the school would jump at the chance to crown a bright eyed, big-haired beauty to represent it with the utmost grace and intelligence. There are plenty of on-campus pageants that highlight cultures represented at UT, like Miss UT Asia and Miss Black UT.

“I chose to do the pageant because I felt it was a good way to broaden my spectrum and get more involved in the community,” said Kristeen Onyirioha, a freshman candidate in the 2011 Miss Black University of Texas scholarship pageant.

In a day and age where independence and intellect is encouraged in women and girls, many wonder why young women choose pageants as their means of scholarship.

“I thought it would be a really fun experience, and I would like to effect change in my community through this pageant,” said Britini Shaw, a sophomore double major in African-American studies and journalism also competing in the 2011 Miss Black University of Texas pageant.

On May 8, seven candidates will vie for the title of Miss Black UT, a scholarship prize, and the chance to implement their respective community service platform.

While UT does not have an official “feeder” pageant to Miss America, all students are welcome to participate in the various events that showcase talent, poise and intelligence throughout campus. 

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.
Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.