Collegiettes Weigh in on Skincare

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Hollywood women know the secrets to never aging and it’s as simple as proper skincare, which began when they were wide-eyed 20-somethings with big dreams much like our current selves. Jennifer Lopez, Halle Berry and Jennifer Garner have each looked consistently young and fresh for about 20 years now. So what exactly can we do to acquire the perfectly clear and glowing skin of these Hollywood goddesses? With so many different skin types from dry to oily to sensitive, it’s hard to give collegiettes one definitive answer. Thus, I have scoured the UT campus asking women with Hollywood-worthy  skin to share some of their skincare tips just in time for the summer heat.

The Old Switcharoo
Junior Amanda Koleckar takes care of her skin by never letting it get too dry or too oily. She switches between Neutrogena Rapid Clear Treatment Pads when she has a breakout, and moisturizing cream when her skin is getting too dry and flaky. For Koleckar, this creates the perfect balance.

Keeping it Simple
However, sophomore Laura Rogers swears by a much simpler approach.
“I believe drinking lots of water and eating right is the key to keeping your skin healthy. Also getting sleep, avoiding stress and finding time for yourself to relax help keep your skin clear,” Rogers said.
“I can’t tan,” Rogers added. “I mean, I just get sunburned. Tanning and I… it doesn’t work. I use lots of sunscreen to keep from burning and reapplication is my best friend.”

Sophomore Casey McCool shares similar tanning issues as Rogers.
“I have never been able to tan. Ever since I was young it would burn and then fade back to white,” McCool said. 
McCool uses foundations and moisturizers with SPF throughout the year to protect her skin, and then kicks it up to Aveeno Baby Sunblock during the summer to accommodate to the glaring summer rays. While McCool has never really experimented with tanning, she said that she is constantly experimenting with different skincare products, looking for the one that perfectly suits her skin type.

As a pasty, pale girl I have struggled summer after summer trying to find the perfect way to get my skin bronze and beautiful, and have made a few mistakes along the way. Considering that, I am compelled and somewhat obligated to tell you how to avoid such tanning disasters.

When I was a freshman, I decided that the only way to acquire that perfect Texas tan was a tanning bed. Though, at the time, I was completely unaware of
the damage that it was doing to my skin. While I did tan up a bit I soon realized that there had to be a better way. Is this temporary fix really worth the permanent sun damage? Definitely not. If you find that tanning beds are the only method that work for you try to make it an occasional occurrence. So if you’re going the unnatural route stick to a spray tan or a self tanner that doesn’t streak. Yes, both of these options can leave an orange tint to your skin if not done properly, but a tanning bed can just as easily burn you as it can tan you.
If you just want to add a little color to your face this spring, switching from a pink blush to a bronze or golden blush that highlights your cheekbones can easily do the trick.
The same methods don’t work for everyone but now is the time to find the habits that work best for you and your skin. If you figure out and stick to some proper skincare habits now you’ll look like J.Lo, Halle and J. Garner later.

http://www.redorbit.com/media/…

Kenyatta Giddings is a double major in Broadcast Journalism and Radio-Television-Film at the University of Texas at Austin. She's a former toddler in a tiara from Dallas, Texas and enjoys recording voiceovers for Radio Disney, writing for various publications, and contributing her production and on-camera talents to an array of programs. In her spare time Kenyatta consumes herself with all things vintage shopping, entertainment media, and brunch. Follow her pursuit for fabulosity on Twitter @kenyattapinata and her favorite online magazine @HerCampusTexas.