Becoming a Proper English Major through Poetry on the Plaza

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

As an English major, I’d been slacking. Sure, I still liked to read and write, I hadn’t done anything truly pretentious in ages. I didn’t even frequent coffee shops often enough! I needed to make a change.My non-fiction writing professor told me about Poetry on the Plaza. She encouraged our class to get out of our comfort zone and enjoy something new. The event was put on by the Harry Ransom Center, Wednesday April 7 at noon, in the plaza in between the center and Calhoun. The Harry Ransom Center Web site promised an afternoon of “poems that celebrate spring, a time of renewal, of optimism, of romance, when all is fresh and new and bluebonnets are in bloom.”

I talked myself into going to the poetry reading, reminding myself that as an English major, a mature UT student and an Austin resident, I should enjoy the arts. A poetry reading wasn’t something completely new for me. I read poetry frequently. But it was always to myself, in my apartment, as assigned reading and rarely for fun. I reminded myself, college is a time for exploration, for doing things that I won’t get the chance to do after I’ve graduated. Poetry on the Plaza was a perfect opportunity to do something fun, exciting, and a little out of the ordinary.

Because it was something different, I was nervous to go by myself. Fearing solitude, I convinced my fellow English major and friend Sarah to go with me. On Wednesday, I arrived at the plaza 11:59 a.m. with Sarah nowhere in sight. I waited until 12:01 p.m. then became nervous she was going to ditch. I had just sent her an anxious text (“Come here!”) when I spotted her walking towards me. We greeted each other and she whispered to me, “Annie, I feel so lame.” She explained that she felt silly going to a poetry reading, a feeling I could understand. We surveyed the crowd, noticing elderly professors, a class of middle school girls clad in plaid skirts, and supremely artsy types watching. I’d forgone my usual t-shirt and Nike shorts to wear a vaguely artsy outfit, so I comforted myself that I at least looked the part.

Readers included UT English faculty members Tom Cable, Oscar Casarez and Michener Center Fellows in Poetry Laura Dixon and Carolina Ebeid. They read such poets as Langston Hughes, Anne Sexton and Gerard Manley Hopkins. Some read their original work, which was easily accessible, while Tom Cable read Middle English poetry that I struggled to understand.

While I was initially nervous, fearing that I’d be pointed out as an imposter—not a true literary scholar—I slowly relaxed. Instead of worrying about what people thought of me, I simply enjoyed myself. Sitting in the sun as the breeze cooled my face and light reflected off the plants around me, I felt at peace. I let the beautiful words wash over me as I sipped my coffee and nibbled on my chocolate chip cookie (the free refreshments were a plus).

All in all, it was a positive experience. Poetry on the Plaza was something different, but still immensely enjoyable. When I left, I was glad that I’d forced myself to go. I’d encourage all you readers out there to step outside of your comfort zone, too! The Harry Ransom Center, Blanton Museum of Art and UT in general offer numerous free events like this. Not to mention, we live in Austin, home of the cool-but-random-things-to-do. Take advantage of these opportunities, get out there and live it up!

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.