This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Name:  Austin Dowling

Major: B.A. with a focus in Acting. Applying for a double in Psychology.

Year: Second Year (Sophomore)

Hometown: Born in Sacramento, CA but grew up in Austin, TX.

Her Campus Texas: What are some of your extra curricular activities?

Austin Dowling: I am involved in Gigglepants Improv, as well as being an officer in Alpha Psi Omega [the theater fraternity]. 

HCTX: It sounds like you spend a lot of time performing and in the theater, how did you get involved?

AD: Honestly, I originally joined it because I wanted to have fun and play games. I was tired of playing the violin in my middle school orchestra. After doing one play that year, I just wanted it to be a part of my life. I wanted to continue it, and I did. Now seven years later, here I am majoring in it.

HCTX: You must really love it then! What would be your dream role to act?

AD: That’s too tough. I don’t know if I can just pick one. It gets especially hard as I read more and more shows because then it just starts to add onto the list I already have. Some of these are just because I think they would be fun. This list consists of:

– Seymour, Audrey II, or the Dentist (Little Shop of Horrors)

– Moritz (Spring Awakening)

– Henry (Next to Normal)

There are more, but I can’t think of them right now.

HCTX: What are current projects are you working on?

AD: At the moment, I am currently in the Theatre & Dance Department’s production of Our Country’s Good, that opens in one week, and in which I play 2nd Lieutenant William Faddy. I’m also involved in a devised piece, in which three of my friends and myself are developing a show. On top of all of that, I’m devising a few other shows as well as attempting to write some of my own. 

HCTX: It’s crazy that you do all of that on top of being a photographer! What inspired you to get into photography?

AD: I want to not only appreciate beautiful art, but start making it myself. I want to challenge myself. I know that I can better myself, and experiment with new mediums. I have been in love with photography for awhile now, but I am picking up the camera.

HCTX: What’s your favorite photo that you have taken?

AD: My favorite photo that I’ve taken is probably of two of my best friends kissing. It was an incredible moment, like once in a lifetime kind of shot and it just blew me away.

HCTX: Okay, speaking of kissing, which Disney Princess would you take on a date?

AD: Rapunzel (but specifically the one from Tangled). I just think that she would be a lot of fun. Plus, I mean, have you seen that movie? It was amazing. 

HCTX: It was! What is the first thing you notice about girls in real life?

AD: The first thing that I notice about girls depends on who it is. My eye is usually drawn to something, whether it’s like some part of their outfit that looks really good on them, or their eyes, or hair. But one of the most frequent is their smile. There’s just something captivating about the fact that we all smile, but that it can look so different on someone else. 

HCTX: What are the top 5 most played songs on your iPod?

AD: Brokenhearted – Karmin

That Girl – Justin Timberlake

A Beautiful Mess – Jason Mraz

Goodbye In Her Eyes – Zac Brown Band

Strawberry Bubblegum – Justin Timberlake

HCTX: What is your favorite TV show to binge watch?

AD: Once again, picking one is way too hard! So, here’s a few:

– New Girl

– The Walking Dead

– Doctor Who

HCTX: What is your favorite ATX spot?

AD: I absolutely love Graffiti Park and Mount Bonnell. Or in my comfy bed.

Want to see more of Austin? Check out him out in UT’s Theater and Dance department’s upcoming production of Our Country’s Good.

Photo credits: KC Photography, David A Saenz, Austin Dowling