Academy Award Winning Producer comes to Texas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Jon Landau, Academy Award winning producer of the biggest grossing films in history, Titanic and Avatar, stepped foot onto the Forty-Acres on October 20th to give a lecture to the students of The University of Texas-Austin. I was able to speak to him personally regarding what he thought about this wonderful city and this amazing school. Also, for those interested in the film and media industry, stay tuned for some advice Landau gives on how to make it out there.

Her Campus Texas (HCTX) : What do you like most about Austin? Do you come here that often?
Jon: I’ve been to Austin several times; what I love about to Austin is that it’s a city that has depth to it, and dimension to it. Both in landscape, the people, the architecture, it’s great. So much of this great state is flat, but you don’t have that here, and I think it’s a warm and welcoming city.

HCTX: When you come to Austin is there a place that you have to go, like restaurants?
Jon: No, but I actually spent some time at the Lake Austin Spa, which was beautiful, phenomena, relaxing, and it was really great.

HCTX: When you first got to campus, how was it?
Jon: First of all, it’s beautiful, and immense. It’s an extremely large campus, for a campus that is in a city. I’ve seen UCLA and others, but this is as or more beautiful than they are.

HCTX: Speaking of college, what was your major back in the day?
Jon: Cinema. I studied film, and I admit it, I was on the five-year plan to get out of school. But to me education goes beyond the academic classroom, and learning never stops. To me, the one thing I love about the film industry is that every project I work on, I learn something. I learn something about people, about the craft, and about the world in which we live.

HCTX: I know your parents were involved in the same industry, would you say that they had some sort of influence on your decision?
Jon: It’s funny, my parents were producers, and they did everything they could to convince me to go into a different industry.

HCTX: Did you start making movies right out of college?
Jon: I got out of college and I went to work on a TV movie as a gofer–go for this, go for that– and then I worked on a feature film, and from there I stayed with feature films, and I’ve been very lucky to have been in the right place at the right time.

HCTX: For those students who are going into the film industry, do you have any tips for them to be successful?
Jon: I think success is the same in any business you know; it’s a good attitude.  Something you have to know about the film business is that it’s a transient business. You’ll have a job, but that job will only last you from six weeks or to six months, and then that film is over, so you have to be looking for another job. So you have to be prepared for that, but in doing that know that once you have that job, you’re now working for the next job. Someone you know or you’re working with is going to recommend you or lead you to your next job.

HCTX: From all of the films that you’ve made, which one would you say is your favorite?
Jon: The birth of my children.

HCTX: What is the typical day for a producer?
Jon: Everyday is something different. The best way to think of it is you are either a CEO of a company or the mayor of a city, and depending on what goes on in that city that day, you’re going to have to deal with.  

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.