7 Lessons I Learned As A Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Being a freshman is like a nasty disease you can’t shake. But luckily its something we all go through and drink enough that it hopefully just becomes a hazy memory. Sure, it’s fantastic to be called the babies and get a bunch of free shirts on the drag at orientation, which you’ll soon ditch, but sooner or later we all get tired of living on campus and avoiding the question “Wait… how old are you?” Believe me, nothing ruins the mood faster than that cute senior in your government class finding out you’re barely legal and living in the dorm they lived in and referred to as the “slam castle”  four years ago. So as I pass the infection to the next excited group of collegiettes I’ve devised a list of lesson that I learned the hard way in my past eight months of The University of Texas.

1) Football games are a social event

Go tailgating, drink beer, eat barbeque, maybe even get a little sloppy, go to the game where you cheer and lose your voice, then ditch with your friends by the third quarter so you can go nap before you hit night time. If you win, there will be parties and it’s possibile you will get very drunk to celebrate. If you lose, there will be parties and you will get very drunk to forget. 

2) You are not the exception

The guy you hook up with at your first party probably doesn’t remember your name, he’s not going to text you or any of the other 8 girls he managed to get a phone number from either.

3) You do not know how to drink

This is a hard one to learn. Finding your limits is a slow and messy process most likely ending in a come to Jesus with your standards board or God forbid; your parents, but alas, we all must learn how to drink.

4) You will be the girl crying at the bar at least once

It’s okay. You will also be the girl crying at the fraternity. And the girl crying on spring break. It’s okay. I hear that goes away with experience, but who knows, they may just be trying to make me feel better.

5) Nobody else knows what they’re doing either 

It’s as simple as that.

6) It’s not the end of the world

Every time you get drunk and dance on the bar at a tab downtown, or cry at a fraternity house, vomit on the front lawn, or even do the walk of shame, the world isn’t over. And chances are, no one even noticed. It’s easy to get caught up in all things you, but don’t forget, everyone else is caught up in all things them, and don’t realize that you messed up at all!

7) WE GO TO THE GREATEST SCHOOL IN THE WORLD

Don’t spend your time whining about being too young, or not being able to register for the right classes! Embrace your first year at UT and enjoy one of the literally thousands of organizations you have the luxury to choose from. Get to know Austin, and don’t forget to study.