5 Ways to do Austin City Limits Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Well guys, the time is here. Austin City Limits Festival is upon us, and we are all excited! If you’re an avid festival-goer, then you may agree with these tips. If it’s your first time experiencing the excitement and wonder of a music festival, then here are some ideas on how to do a festival right. 

1)   Drink water.  Possibly the most important rule. It never fails that at festivals across the nation, hundreds of people experiencing dehydration or if the weather is hot, a heat stroke. Sometimes in the midst of all the fun you can forget to drink water regularly but it is very important, especially when standing in the sun all day!

2)   Sunscreen, sunglasses, hats. Sunscreen is a must for music festivals, even when you have darker skin! You’re exposed to the sun almost all day, and all the fun you’re having can quickly take a turn if you don’t protect yourself. It is also wise to bring sunglasses and a hat, as it can get pretty bright. No one needs the sun in their eyes when trying to watch their favorite band!

3)   Pace yourself. I know you probably looked at the line-up and booked up your schedule for the entire day, one show after the other. I can tell you now it won’t happen. Standing for hours at a time in the heat, listening and dancing to the music gets exhausting real quick after three shows in a row. Give yourself a break! Grab some food, sit in the shade, and let your body recover. You’ll want the energy for the headlining shows later in the evening!

4)   Comfortable shoes. Girls, I know you want to look cute, and that is perfectly fine! But trust me when I tell you that your feet are going to take a beating at ACL. All of the standing, walking, dancing, and occasional people stepping on your foot will make you wish you hadn’t worn your nicest sandals. Think smart! Blisters are no fun.

5)   Don’t miss out on the little stuff. This year you may be saying to yourself, “I want to see Outkast, Iggy Azalea, Calvin Harris, Childish Gambino, and Lana Del Rey.” While those are all shows not to be missed, sometimes the best music festival experience happens when you discover a little known band or artist. If you have time in your schedule, check out one of the smaller shows! You’d be surprised how many amazing and underrated artists there are that people look over because they’re worried about the big names at the festival. You may just find your new favorite when you branch out. 

A music festival has the potential to be one of the greatest experiences in your life, as long as you take care of yourself and take advantage of all it has to offer! ACL not only showcases great music, but you will also be exposed to unique food and amazing art. Don’t be afraid to explore! Also keep in mind that everyone is there for the same reason: to experience music in its best form and to enjoy the positive atmosphere. Some of the coolest people you’ll ever meet will be at music festivals. Be friendly! Your weekend at ACL could be the weekend of a lifetime.

(Photo courtesy of www.aclfest-weekend2.frontgatetickets.com

I am Corisa but a lot of my friends call me Cori! I feel like the real life Hannah Horvath from Girls.