This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

The most important day of the Texas calendar is quickly approaching. The countdown to OU weekend has begun! The Red River Rivalry has been a long part of UT tradition, and the amount of work that goes into being a spectator makes getting to Dallas more than worth it! Here are some tips to get you ready for arguably the most fantastic weekend of your life and to make Bevo proud while doing it!

1.   Prepare for a loooooooooong drive

Most people attend OU with dates, but whether you’re going with a fraternity, spirit group or just a bunch of your friends you won’t be the only ones heading to Dallas the Friday before the game. Everyone and their mother will be on I-35. Think about leaving early in the day, and if that isn’t an option, just treat the drive like an awesome road trip!

2.   Buy/paint your cooler ASAP

If you are going to OU with a date, it is tradition that you buy a cooler to fill with an assortment of drinks for the drive. Coolers all of a sudden become the hottest commodity in town! Scouring the aisles of Wal-Mart or Target in the few days before OU weekend will leave you with very few, if any, options and that’s just unacceptable. This cooler is a way to have fun and decorate however you want and it could be a fun bonding experience with your girls! (Or if you’re like me and not as artistically inclined, paying someone to do it for you is always an option.)

3.   Go to the state fair

Once you get to Dallas, if you did spend the bagillion dollars on a ticket to the game then by all means go! If you didn’t though, this is the opportunity of a lifetime. The State Fair of Texas is everything your doctor has ever warned you about plus every sugar-high induced dream you’ve had as a kid rolled into one magnificently fried package. There’s everything from music to livestock shows and most importantly the food is AMAZING. You might be in a food coma for the rest of the week, but I promise you it will be well worth it!

4.   Burnt orange everything

This is the game where you must show the most school pride, it’s basically a law. It’s only appropriate that you attend all daytime OU weekend festivities decked out in our school colors. There are so many options, from dresses to cute shorts and tanks. Just pick something that is casual and cute and don’t forget your boots! The game will be broadcast no matter where you are so it’ll be like you’re in the stadium, regardless of your actual location. The most important part of this weekend is to have a fantastic time and to show as much school spirit as possible. If you lose your voice during OU, you did it right!

Hopefully these tips give you the rundown of what to expect during OU weekend and how to prepare. And always remember, no matter what time it is, OU still sucks!

(Photo courtesy of http://www.ouclubofdallas.com/images/article_images/264.jpg

I am Corisa but a lot of my friends call me Cori! I feel like the real life Hannah Horvath from Girls.