4 Fictional Female Characters You Should Channel This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

As some of our favorite girl-centric shows begin to reappear this fall, I thought it would be timely to acknowledge some of the best women that have graced the silver and the small screens in the recent past. Even though you may be legally brunette rather than blonde, attending the University of Texas at Austin instead of Yale, or an aspiring doctor without an extensive pop culture vocabulary, the details that set us apart from these women are less important than the girl power that brings us together. Here are four stunning examples of fabulous (and fictional) women we should all channel this semester.

1.  Elle Woods

Here’s the thing. If you know anyone else who can deliver a mind-crushing cross examination in a hot pink t-shirt dress, let me know. Whether she’s in a high collared, polka dot button down or in a Playboy Bunny costume, Elle EXUDES confidence. She never questions herself or doubts her abilities to get into Harvard Law (what? Like it’s hard?) and she respects herself to the highest regard.  But what’s more than that, I think, is that Elle instills confidence in others. Elle fosters a girl-power community with a simple bend and snap and inspires others to take their lives (and their dogs) back and if that’s not admirable, then I don’t know what is.

Best time to be Elle Woods: Right before a class presentation. Look fabulous, stand firm and make your case. (i.e. Happy people don’t kill their husbands. They just don’t.)

2.  Rory Gilmore

Through my horrendous and telling experience as a middle school student, I had always looked to Lorelai Gilmore as the end all and be all of “cool”. Even through high school, Lorelai was my number one idol. I pleaded for a Jeep when I turned 16 and I even (creepily, I admit) named it Lorelai. But as I sat re-watching the last season of Gilmore Girls with my mom, I realized my tastes had changed. Rory has a fierce ambition that is, unlike Paris’, quiet and approachable. Rory manages to be graceful, shy, and a complete boss all at the same time in a way that’s both elegant, like her grandmother, and awesome, like her mom. Whether your team Logan or Jess, it’s hard to dispute that everyone, even me, should first be team Rory.

Best time to be Rory Gilmore: During an interview. Channel her calm energy, her approachable smile and her killer blazer with a graphic tee combo.

3.  Leslie Knope

I am weird. You are probably weird. I know for certain the my roommate is weird. I fervently try to keep everyone unaware of how weird I am. Leslie Knope, however, thrives in being bizarre and that is what’s so genius about her. She doesn’t care about what people think and that allows her a freedom that all of us deny ourselves. She puts forth her best effort into even the most mundane jobs (like, say, the local parks and recreation office). She truly cares about everything she does and is willing to make it happen, even if it involves uniting two gay penguins in holy matrimony at the local zoo or finding love for her best friend. She has high expectations for those around her and ensures that she will be nothing short of Hilary Clinton and will date no less than a Joe Biden.

Best time to be Leslie Knope: When that rude guy in your Political Science class talks down to you. Let him know his sexist ways and that bow ties are NOT applicable for every occasion. Proceed to hair flip.

4.  Mindy Lahiri

Mindy Lahiri knows just how fabulous she is. She has a successful job, a killer wardrobe, a knowledgable and often extensive pop culture vocabulary. She’s body positive and says things that we all have, at one point, thought. But most of all, she gives GREAT advice. Much like when you open a religious text and a single piece of proverb sticks with you, in every episode of The Mindy Project there is a Mindy mantra that applies to my current situation. She is not too prideful to where she can’t see when she’s a hot mess, but she is also fully aware of when she is killing it, which is often. She admits the hardships about being single and too ready to mingle but she doesn’t let a man, or a rude doctor, or a belligerent coworker, diminish her incredible worth.

Best time to be Mindy Lahiri: A Kerby Lane brunch with a group of strangers. You could blow them away about your extensive knowledge of Kimye’s relationship but also find a way to connect with everybody there. Plus, Mindy has the BEST brunch wear. 

I am Corisa but a lot of my friends call me Cori! I feel like the real life Hannah Horvath from Girls.