Top 10 Biggest Celeb Moments in 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

This year has been a roller coaster of events for our favorite celebrities. Since 2018 is coming soon, we should totally recap all of the crazy things that have happened this year.

Here are the biggest celebrity moments of 2017.

1. Beyoncé’s pregnancy announcement

Bey decided to shake the world by announcing her pregnancy via Instagram with an ethereal picture of herself. Her post garnered 11.1 million likes, which makes it the most-liked post on Instagram this year. She gave birth to twins Rumi and Sir in June.

2. Death of some of our fave stars

While 2017 brought us a lot of new faces to say hello to (as mentioned above), we also said goodbye to some familiar faces. From promising rapper Lil Peep, to rock legend Chester Bennington from Linkin Park, 2017 truly lost some extraordinary musicians, actors, and other notable stars.

3. Prince Harry is getting hitched!

Prince Harry of Wales is engaged to American actress Meghan Markle. The couple began dating in late 2016 and have been inseparable ever since. The wedding is set for May of 2018.

4. Everything Taylor Swift

The pop singer has truly outdone herself this year. She took time off to reinvent her good girl persona and the result was a new album, Reputation, that had 1.29 million copies sold within the first week. 2017 truly gave Taylor a new sound and a brand-new badass image.

5. Breakup szn

From engagements like Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner, to marriages like Justin Verlander and Kate Upton, there was definitely a lot of love going around between celebs this year. However, there were also quite a few couples that went to Splitsville. The breakup of actors Anna Faris and Chris Pratt broke a lot of hearts. Some other major breakups included Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna, Selena Gomez and The Weeknd, and Fergie and Josh Duhamel.

6. *Trying* to Keep Up with the Kardashians

America’s ‘royal’ family stirred a lot of controversy throughout this year. One of the biggest issues among the family was Kendall Jenner’s problematic Pepsi commercial, which stirred up a lot of trouble for the young model. But the real question is, who is actually pregnant in the Kardashian fam?! There have been rumors that both Khloe Kardashian and Kylie Jenner are pregnant, but neither have been confirmed. The only confirmed pregnancy is Kim Kardashian, who is having her third child via surrogate. We’ll see if the rumors are true in due time.

7. Mr. President, You’re Hired!

After eight years of having President Barack Obama in office, in late 2016 we had to elect a new president. Television personality and business mogul Donald Trump was elected to be the 45th President of the United States and has been in office since January 20, 2017.

8. #MeToo Movement

This movement started on Twitter in late 2017 after the film executive Harvey Weinstein was accused of sexual harassment by many female actresses. Along with Weinstein, other celebrities like House of Cards’ Kevin Spacey, Today Show host Matt Lauer and comedian Louis CK, have also been accused of sexual misconduct. Women and men all over the world, such as Alyssa Milano and Aly Raisman, have started using the hashtag #MeToo to show support to victims of sexual harassment and abuse.

9. Tragedy strikes

In May of 2017, there was a terrorist attack at pop icon Ariana Grande’s concert in Manchester that left 22 people killed and over 60 people injured. A month later, there was a charity concert, which included a few celebrities such as Miley Cyrus, Coldplay, and Pharrell, that raised funds victims’ families. Another horrendous attack was at the Route 91 Harvest country music festival in Las Vegas. Country musician Jason Aldean was performing when shots were fired killing 58 people and injuring about 500 people. Both stars were rattled by the events just like the rest of the world.

10. Big mix up

Last but not least, we have the iconic mix up at the Academy Awards earlier this year. Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway said that La La Land had won the Oscar for Best Picture, when the real winner was actually Moonlight. It was a huge mess on stage when the people of La La Land had the award stripped from their hands after the real winner was announced.

A recap of what the celebrities were up to in 2017 gives us hope for a better and more exciting 2018.

Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus