How to Get Healthy, Glowing Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

There’s nothing quite like a natural glow to make your skin look fresh and healthy. Makeup can be helpful when trying to achieve a flawless glow, but did you know there are other natural ways to get amazing skin from the inside out? Here are Her Campus Temple’s best tips for getting smooth, glowing skin – no highlighter or bronzer required!

Drink plenty of waterThis is important not only for the wellbeing of your entire body, but for your skin as well. When you get your eight glasses a day of H20, you’ll be clearing up your skin because drinking water helps your body to flush out toxins quickly.

When you want to drink something besides water, sip some green teaSince green tea is high in antioxidants, it helps to fight free radicals, which cause damage to your skin cells. At the same time, it reduces inflammation to keep your skin glow all day long.

Exercise regularlyHitting the gym has yet another benefit – it stimulates blood flow, which in turn brings a natural flush to your complexion. This will bring you both long and short term results so lace up your sneakers and get going!

Exfoliate weeklyTo clear dead skin cells, be sure to exfoliate weekly with a facial scrub. A simple DIY face scrub recipe is sugar combined with all-natural honey. After mixing the ingredients together and gently rubbing the mixture onto your skin, using light pressure rinse with warm water and apply toner.

Use tonerIn between cleansing and moisturizing, make sure you use a toner in order to balance your skin’s pH level and reduce the appearance of pores. Doing so will make your skin healthier and bring a natural glow to the surface of your skin. It also removes excess dirt and oil or extra cleanser you may have missed when cleansing.

Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!To prevent your skin from looking dry, flaky and unhealthy moisturize after cleansing to bring hydration back to your complexion.

Eat nutritious foodsYour body needs certain essential vitamins to stay healthy and to keep your skin looking amazing, so load up on fruit, veggies and other skin-loving foods. Look for foods containing vitamins B, C and D, omega 3 fatty acids, and fiber, all of which provide a variety of benefits for your body, especially for your skin. Another tip is to limit your intake of sugary and salty foods to prevent your skin from looking bloated.

Get enough sleepWhen you sleep, your body naturally heals and repairs itself, so this benefits your skin in return. They call it beauty sleep for a reason, right?

These skincare tips are guidelines to get you started on your journey to having beautiful, healthy and glowing skin – naturally! Not only will these practices benefit your skin, but many other aspects of your health as well. 

Jen is a 2016 graduate of Messiah College, where she majored in journalism and minored in gender studies. She's a proud Bostonian who is obsessed with tattoos, puppies, magazines and Sephora. She's been reading Her Campus since high school and was thrilled to join the HC team as a National Contributing Writer in September 2013. She became an HC Beauty Blogger in February 2014 and continued to write on-trend beauty posts until July 2016. A few highlights from her time writing for HC included attending and writing about two BeautyCon events and Cosmopolitan's Fun Fearless Life in 2015. You can follow her on Twitter @JenFlanagan14 and on Instagram @jenlea14.
Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine.