8 Healthy Fitness Tips From Someone Who Isn’t a “Fitness Guru”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

First off, I know what your thinking. Why would I take healthy living tips from someone who is not an expert? Well you’re right I am not an expert, but sometimes I think that the goals that self-proclaimed “fitness gurus” preach are unrealistic and intimidating to the average person. Sometimes I think the best advice can be learned from your peers and people who are facing the same battles as you. I am no Jillian Michaels, I don’t manage a #fitspo instagram account, and I don’t have six-pack abs either. I’m just a normal, busy, college girl who tries to live a semi-decent healthy lifestyle. And these are some things that work for me, that hopefully can work for you too!

1. Find a healthy activity that you actually like.

Newsflash: not everyone likes to run, and that’s ok. It is so much easier getting in a workout if you are doing something that you enjoy. For me, it’s spin class. Once I started going to spin classes, I couldn’t get enough! It was tough at first, but it eventually became a lot of fun. Whether it’s hiking, going to zumba, playing basketball, or any other activity, if you find something you love it won’t seem like a chore to get it done.

2. Find your song.

Everyone has a song that gets them so pumped up they can’t contain themselves. One song is all you need. For me it’s, “Ain’t Got Far to Go” by Jess Glynne. The importance of finding that one song is that it can keep you going for the last little stretch of your workout.  Whenever you feel yourself getting too tired in your workout and you’re just about to quit, put on your song. Let this 3-4 minute song help you get through the last few minutes of your workout and when it’s done so are you!

3. Treat yourself to some workout gear.

If you find a little wiggle room in your budget, go out and buy a new pair of running sneakers, or some workout leggings, or a new sports bra. You’re going to want to test out your new purchases right? Sometimes all you need is a new pair of sneakers to get you up and moving.

4. Get a new water bottle.

Drinking a bunch of water is such an easy and great habit to form. Buying cases of water can get expensive though, so go out to the store and grab a cool new water bottle and take it with you everywhere you go. Before you know it you’ll be finishing two or three bottles a day, which is great for your body!

5. Base your progress on how you feel, and that’s it!

Getting on a scale can be really scary, and a lot of time really discouraging. Gauging your success on how you personally feel should be all that counts. With that being said, be really skeptical when you look at other’s “before and after” pictures online. A lot of them can be Photoshopped, be taken in strategic lighting, or the person is just standing at a flattering angle.  Another reason on why you should only look to yourself and your own experiences for tracking your progress. Every person is different and every journey is different.

6. Get a workout buddy.

Even though you should only be worrying about your own progress, doesn’t mean you have to be in it alone! Sometimes even if we follow all these tips, it’d hard to get up and find the motivation to hit the gym. A workout buddy is a great way to make sure you’re getting in your exercise. Motivation from a friend can make a huge difference! And for someone else, you are his or her motivator. So it’s a win-win.

7. Go to the gym at night.

If it works out best with my schedule, I try to go to the gym around 8 PM. A lot of time the gym is pretty empty, so you don’t have to worry about seeing a ton of people you know, or waiting for a machine to open up. It’s your chance to just focus on what you want to do without a ton of distractions. Not to mention, it’s great to come home really tired and fall asleep easily.

8. Reward yourself.

If you hit a milestone or reach a goal, do something nice for yourself. Go to a movie, buy a new outfit, take a day off. Everyone deserves a pat on the back sometimes. So don’t forget to keep yourself happy so you can keep yourself going.

Maddie McDonald is a Senior Media Studies and Production major at Temple University. Aside from being a staff writer at Her Campus Temple, Maddie is the PR/Community Director for WHIP Temple Student Radio. Maddie is pursuing a job in radio, but enjoys writing about current trends in media, specifically music and sports. In her free time Maddie enjoys playing basketball, tweeting, and perfecting her spotify playlists.  She is also a writing intern for Trebel Music.
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.