Wellness

I Tried Sleeping 8 Hours a Night for a Week and Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Image Source

As college students, we’re all too familiar with the reality of not getting enough sleep. We’re doing homework all hours of the night and trying to make up for it by sleeping until noon or taking a 30 minute nap during the day. Or sometimes, we lose track of time when we’re hanging out with friends and end up staying up until 3 am.  Well, I seemed to have done the impossible. I slept eight hours a night for a week straight, and this is what happened.

Although I usually don’t have trouble getting up to my alarm clock each morning, I always experience the typical, ‘Ughhhhh!’ feeling, but sleeping for eight hours changed all that.

I was waking up before my alarm, and felt refreshed throughout the day. I wasn’t completely exhausted by the end of the day, and didn’t have headaches (like I sometimes do) from being too tired.

But, back to reality. There’s no way I’ll be sleeping eight hours a night for seven days straight for the rest of the semester, but it was great while it lasted.

However, it truly made me realize how important it is to get a good night’s sleep. Will I sleep perfectly every night? No. Will I pull all-nighters? Yes. But I think the point here is that we should all make sleep a priority because it really does do wonders for both our physical and mental health.

From this point on, I’m going to try — not to get eight hours of sleep every night because I know that’s a stretch — but to remember how much better I feel when I sleep well for a long enough period of time.

Despite how difficult it might seem, I encourage all of my fellow college students to put ‘sleep’ on their To-Do Lists every day.

Cover Image Source

Alyssa is a senior English major at TCNJ who loves to read, write, listen to music, and spend time with her friends, family, and dog. She is currently a Features Editor for HCTCNJ. 
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.