Feba Chacko: Promoter of Positivity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Meet Feba Chacko, sophomore Secondary Education and English major with the goal of one day becoming a High School English Teacher. I’ve known Feba since fifth grade, but this year I am lucky enough to call her not only my friend, but also my roommate.

One day while we were discussing the crazy semesters we had ahead of us, I brought up the idea of the “sophomore slump,” something I read about on a college blog. The “sophomore slump” refers to the time when the excitement from freshman year begins to wear off and stress overtakes a student’s life. Feba had never heard of this before college, but she explained, “with just a few weeks as a sophomore, I can already attest to this phase being very much real.”

Of course, this idea of a “sophomore slump” does not affect everyone, but a lot of students lose their way when stress starts to become part of their daily routine. Feba is a great example of someone in my life at TCNJ who knows how to stay positive in stressful situations.

Feba keeps positive by looking at the bigger picture of life, “When school gets tough, I think, ‘Okay, I got this. I’m here, at THE College of New Jersey, for a reason! I’m here to work hard so I can ultimately become the best contributing member to society I can be.’ It’s corny and sometimes seems silly to remind myself of such simple facts, but it really helps.”

She also knows that managing time will help with managing stress, “I know that when I don’t manage my stress, my stomach becomes a bottomless pit. As this can be quite unhealthy, I search for healthier (or, less unhealthy) outlets, ranging from a five minute dance party (by myself, of course) in my dorm to rewarding myself with an episode of The Office.” Feba also explains that having a realistic schedule that puts your health first (in terms of food, physical activity, and fun) will, “undoubtedly yield positive results, hopefully lowering the amount of stress that comes about.”

The “Sophomore Slump” does not have to be a part of your college career. We can all make it through by being positive and remembering why we came to this school in the first place. “Getting rid of the stereotype starts with each of us as individuals. When I begin to feel it affecting me, I try to remind myself of how enthusiastic I can be, especially about school. We all have a responsibility to be the best versions of ourselves, and it seems the sophomore slump can interfere with that. By combatting this stereotype, we are all capable of making this academic year truly stellar.”

I hope Feba’s advice will inspire you to keep positive on those stressful college days. Here’s to a great semester collegiates!

Cait is the Co-Editor-In-Chief at HCTCNJ, and describes her life with two simple words: organized chaos.