Chick flick wisdom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Winter break was an ideal time to take a break from the stress of school by bumming around and watching movies. If you’re like me, Collegiettes, you get excited when you catch a classic chick flick while flipping through the channels. Reflecting on some of my favorites, I realized there are lessons we can learn from these female characters. Try applying the tips from these light-hearted movies’ leading ladies to your life, and have a great semester:

Elle Woods – I could write an entire article about lessons we can learn from “Legally Blonde,” but I’ll stick to the underlying, most important message: Stay true to yourself and don’t compromise who you are for anyone. Sure, Reese Witherspoon’s character only goes to Harvard Law School to chase a man, but once she gets there, she begins to create her own dreams. Complete with pink, scented résumés, she is a girly girl at heart who winds up valedictorian of her class. Anything is possible.

Cady Heron – Frequently quoting this flick seems to be a favorite pastime among people our age. Lindsay Lohan’s smart girl turned “mean girl” plays dumb to capture the attention of Aaron Samuels, the attractive guy in her calculus class. Upon almost failing, Tina Fey’s character reminds her that no guy is worth playing stupid for. In the end, Cady wins the mathlete competition and realizes the people who are worth keeping in her life like her for being herself. Lesson learned? Dumbing yourself down is dumb.

Cher Horowitz – This “Clueless” chick, who prides herself on giving other people makeovers, may seem initially superficial in this 90’s classic. Nevertheless, Alicia Silverstone’s character always is helping others, whether the awkward new girl or her own father. She learns the importance of giving to others, especially in the wake of the Pismo Beach disaster. Just a vapid Valley Girl? As if! Cher shows that selflessness can lead to self-fulfillment.

Jenna Rink – In “13 Going on 30,” Jennifer Garner’s character has a crummy birthday party and just wants to be 30, flirty, and thriving. With the help of some magic pixie dust, her wish comes true and she is transported into her future self, a 30-year-old magazine editor. It is because of her child-at-heart attitude that she successfully revitalizes the magazine and its creative direction. Embrace your inner child. It’s okay to have fun and this can lead to some creative brainstorming.

Andy Sachs – In this movie based on an equally great book, Anne Hathaway’s character in “The Devil Wears Prada” is thrust into the magazine industry, at a top fashion publication. It’s her work ethic that helps her survive. Sure, she gets a slight makeover, but she’s still the same Andy: a hard-working, humble girl who doesn’t get overwhelmed by the glitz and glamour surrounding her. Even when feeling out of your element, disprove people’s expectations and you can succeed if you put your mind to it.