15 Reasons to Send Handwritten Letters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Let’s face it: there’s nothing like opening your mailbox and, to your astonishment, finding an envelope that’s addressed just to you, in the mix of all the catalogs and bills. In this technological age, spreading our love and appreciation over social media often seems insignificant because it is so public. Engage in something more meaningful. Put your pen to paper, and send someone some love that they, and they alone, can hold onto and cherish forever. Here are 15 reasons why you should send someone you care about a handwritten letter.

1.    You’re going to make someone’s day. Guaranteed.

2.    Saying something in a text or an email is nowhere near as powerful as the same words are on paper.

3.    Writing can be relaxing. Let the Netflix lie for a half hour and try this instead.

4.    Handwritten letters can be saved forever. Perhaps you or your recipient will look back and admire your words one day.

5.    Whether it’s to a friend, a beau, or a family member, there is no doubt that your effort will be appreciated.

6.    You have the opportunity to illustrate along with your words. Emojis just don’t cut it sometimes.

7.    Letting go of technology for a little while can be freeing. Everyone needs time to unplug.

8.    You don’t need to stress about your writing skills. This isn’t being graded. Everyone’s words are significant when they are intended with love.

9.    You can get creative with what to send inside the envelope. Sparkles? Hand-cut confetti anyone?

10. Creating art is therapeutic for the soul.

11.  Handwritten letters allow you to be a part of history. They are everlasting and are a huge part of our past time as humans.

12. If you haven’t talked to someone in a long time, this is a wonderful way of letting them know you still think about them.

13. No one wants twenty e-cards for their birthday. Sending a handmade card instantly brings joy to someone’s special day.

14. You can get creative with your handwriting style.

15. Handwriting letters lets you engage in something rare and special. Be different, and it will encourage others to step out of their normal day-to-day bounds, too.

Taylor Guttesman is a student at the Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University.
Hi there! My name is Gabrielle, and I'm the Editor/ Campus Correspondent for the Syracuse chapter of Her Campus! I am a sophomore Television, Radio, and Film major in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. I like traveling, cinematic classics, show tunes, long walks on the beach, chocolate, chocolate on the beach, and anything pink. Go 'Cuse! HCXO