This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Myths I Believed About Greek Life Until I Joined

I recently joined Greek life at Susquehanna University and it has really opened my eyes into all of the misconceptions that people have about Greek life. It’s nothing like movies and the media make it out to be. Here are some of the myths I have found to be false and why I feel that way. 

1.You’re Buying Friends

This is an age-old myth. Everyone who isn’t in a sorority/fraternity thinks that all Greek life is for is buying friends. This is totally untrue. Sure, you will meet new people, but usually you rush with other people that you know and hope you get into the same organization. It’s like a club, you go into it for the beneficial reasons like a resume filler, volunteer work, or yes- to meet people. Not everyone goes into Greek life to only meet people, it’s just a bonus. You meet people everyday on a college campus, what is wrong for doing it through an organization? Also, if you do know someone who wants to rush in Greek life to meet people: LET THEM. Don’t shame people for trying to meet others in a different way than you are. In high school I remember having to pay money to get into honors societies. Where is the difference there? You’re paying a fee and meeting people, doing activities, and working with your school as a result. Greek life isn’t only ‘paying for friends’. Stop spreading this myth now.

2.You’re Going to Die…Probably Not

I’m throwing in the probably not because not every University regulates Greek life the same as Susquehanna university might. Like the gif above, hazing can be a thing and discrimination is everywhere. This shouldn’t deter you from joining. You just need to be conscious of the stories that surround a certain organization and make your best judgments during situations that seem wrong. There are great sororities and fraternities out there that have good people who look out for each other. Hazing isn’t like the movies portray it and where I go to school hazing is forbidden. If something doesn’t seem right when you are pledging/ rushing/ an active member do something about it.

3.You Need to Party

This one is a stupid myth in my opinion. Yes, you are sometimes required to go to events with other organizations, or as some universities call ‘mixers’, but drinking and partying aren’t always involved. We’re all legal adults for the most part in college. You can make the conscious effort to not drink or party, but still participate in the event. No one will judge you for not partying along with them. If you are really worried about it give an excuse like “I’m driving home tonight” or have a solo cup full of water, juice, etc. and pretend like you’re just going along with the crowd. But, I guarantee no one is going to shun you from an organization just because you choose not to drink.

4.It’s Time Consuming

This was a big consideration when I was contemplating Greek life. There is a lot to do when you join: there are philanthropy hours, sometimes studying hours, chapter, and any events and meetings you need to have. Here’s the thing, Greek life takes up a lot of time, but it’s the time you would spend on your phone or procrastinating. I like to procrastinate, so joining really helped with my time management. When I just decided to join I found that I could make it work with my schedule and I ended up spending more time with friends than in my room alone. It worked in my favor.

5.All the girls are going to be “cliquey”, “stuck up”, and “sorority girl” like.

This can also go with the fraternity guys being jocks, cliquey, and acting like Neanderthals. I’ve talked to a few girls and they said they were most scared about meeting new people and how they would act. They even said they were shocked with the girls they got along with. People will be mean and cliquey in general. Some of them just happen to be in Greek life. There are enough people in each organization that you can break away from people who are catty. Don’t fear the stereotype of sororities/ fraternities.

6.Fraternities and Sororities only party

Like I mentioned before, Greek life does a lot more than partying. Each organization works with a philanthropy and has to raise money, volunteer, etc. Some organizations also have to log studying hours to show they are doing well and trying in school. Greek life also usually has to keep a GPA high enough to stay a member. There’s a lot of time and effort put into Greek life and partying/ socializing makes up a very small percentage.

7.” I thought I was going to sign a contract saying I couldn’t wear sweatpants.”

I’m adding this as my conclusion because it was too funny not to share. I am a Resident Assistant on campus and I asked a few of my residents what myths they found to be false when they joined a sorority. One of them said they thought they would have to sign a contract saying they could never wear sweatpants again. The other residents just looked at her like she was nuts, but I appreciated the honesty.

SU' 20 • Vanderpump Rules Enthusiast • Dog Fanatic • I'm just a college girl with champagne taste on a beer budget.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University