The Break Down of “Break Through 2017”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Break Through is happening this week (Feb 9-11) at SU. Break Through allows SU students to take part in job and summer opportunities fairs, alumni networking sessions, sit in on major specific panels and allows us to get the chance to meet influential speakers and role models.

1. What is Break Through? 

If I had to sum up Break Through in a sentence it would be – An opportunity for undergraduates at SU to network with alumni, attend career focused workshops and maybe even book a job or internship at the Summer Opportunities Fair. Break Through will run from Thursday through Saturday at specific hours of the day. So, you’ll have time to attend class for the most part. 

2. Why should I go? 

Why shouldn’t you should be the correct question. Whether you’re a freshman or senior, you both are guaranteed to gain something beneficial from the experience. Trust me you will. Who knows, you’ll probably end up with a paid internship or a new connection on LinkedIn. The outcomes are endless, and if this is your first time going you wont regret it. 

3. Where do I start? 

In all honesty, to be fully prepared for Break Through you must have the right tools. You do not want to show up to the Summer Opportunities Fair without an elevator pitch or a semi finished resume! The best suggestion is to start on your resume soon, then head over to the Career Development Center to get it revised. After that, you should create an excellent elevator pitch- a short summary of who you are and why you’re the best candidate for the company or organization. If you don know where to start – just attend a “Networking Tips” 

session by the CDC. If you can’t make any of these appointments, you can always watch YouTube videos. 

4. What do I wear? 

For all three days, business casual is definitely the way to do it. 

5. Who will be there? 

You’ll see pretty much everyone. The majority of your history class, the girl you used to see around campus before she graduated last year, and many unfamiliar faces will all be at Break Through. 

6. Have Fun! 

Everything will go smoothly if you just relax and go in and do what you have to do. The process can seem intimidating now, but once you’re there you won’t want it to end.

Veneranda Bautista is a student at Susquehanna University in small town Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania. While being an Advertising/Marketing and Spanish double major she finds time to reflect on life, go to the gym, and stay up to date with celebrity news. Born and raised in Brooklyn and daughter of Dominican immigrants have definitely played a pivotal role in the ambitious person she is today. To gain a better taste of who she is personally, make sure to follow her on Instagram: @veny_bau.
I am Brooke Adams-Porter, a communications student at Susquehanna University. Just an old soul finding herself in this new world.