The Story of Michelle Leonardo, Miss New Jersey USA 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

A Campus Celebrity Like No Other, Miss New Jersey USA

Twenty-year-old Michelle Leonardo, otherwise known as, “Miss New Jersey USA” from Tinton Falls, New Jersey, is a member of our very own student body here at Suffolk University. She is pursuing a degree in Journalism, and is extremely involved on campus. Michelle is a writer for the “Suffolk Voice,” and absolutely loves participating in Cooking 101 and the Suffolk University Dance Team.  Michelle’s involvement does not stop at the University’s walls; she also takes advantage of her Boston surroundings. Michelle is a college reporter for “Style It Up,” a television show founded in Boston. You may have also spotted her at Boston’s Fashion Week, covering Lily and Migs and Daniel Faucher Couture.

Michelle has been involved in the competitive pageant world since she was five-years old, her very fist title being, “Little Miss Hawaiian Tropic.”  Miss New Jersey USA described to us a few reasons why she got involved in pageantry, one of them being because of her Aunt Michelle. 

When Michelle’s Aunt was her age, she dreamt of becoming Miss USA. Sadly, at the age of 24, Michelle’s aunt was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia.  Michelle discusses this tragic event that took place in her family, “After five months of treatment, [Aunt Michelle] went into remission. The doctors said that if it didn’t re-appear in two and a half years, she had a very good chance of beating it.  But two years and two months later, it came back. At the age of thirty, my aunt Michelle passed away. Two years later, I was born. My mom not only named me after her, but put me in dance classes and pageants because of my Aunt’s dream to be a professional dancer and pageant queen.”

Michelle pursued her careers in pageantry and dance, completely falling in love with both activities. She decided that she would accomplish “big things” in both the dance and pageant world, “not only for myself, but for my Aunt Michelle too.”

“Big things” is an understatement; Michelle has exceeded expectations in both aspects of her life.  She went on to win ample dance titles, scholarships, and choreographed dances that she knew her aunt “would be proud of.”  Her success did not stop here! Michelle eventually won the title of Miss New Jersey Teen USA 2008, and now she is Miss New Jersey USA 2012.

[pagebreak]
I had the pleasure of asking some questions, getting the inside scoop on Michelle.

Me:You’re absolutely beautiful…did you ever go through that awful awkward stage in middle school that most of us did?

Michelle:I did go through an awkward phase; in third grade I literally had buckteeth.  My front tooth stuck straight out, and my mom has plenty of pictures to prove it! Thankfully they straightened out on their own, and I never had braces. 

Me:What career/dream job are you working towards?

Michelle: I someday hope to be working for ESPN and be in the dugout of Yankee Stadium interviewing the players! But I can also see myself writing for a magazine, acting in Hollywood, having my own line of work out DVDs, and/or opening my own pageant/prom store! I have a lot of goals. 

Me:Was Boston your first choice of location to attend college?

Michelle:After a long and exhausting college search, in the end Suffolk University was my number one. I loved the location, the communications department, and the diversity the school represented.

Me:Girls can be tough…especially when you’re gorgeous. Any comments on this subject?

Michelle:I did not have it easy growing up. The more successful I was, the meaner the girls were. I got teased about everything, especially my big hair! Back then I became insecure of it and started straightening my hair everyday, but now I embrace my big hair! I am a pageant girl after all. When you are young you don’t understand why girls can be so nasty, but looking back on it now it was just jealousy and insecurity. But what is that saying? Your haters are your motivators? Look at me now ;) 

Me:Beauty competitions can also be brutal…we’ve all seen the television show, “Dance Moms.”  Is it really like that? Are some moms really that scary?

Michelle:Like I said earlier, I have been dancing too since I was three years old so I have seen it all, the dance moms and the pageant moms. Yes, some moms are really that scary.

Me: What are some qualities you look for in a perfect guy?

Michelle:I am thankful to have a supportive and driven boyfriend already (and very handsome too). But I look for someone who I can be comfortable to be myself with. Since I am constantly on a stage and being judged, I need someone who I can kick off my heels, play some Guitar Hero, and belt out Aerosmith with. But I also look for someone who is equally as driven as I am, has a sense of humor, and someone who I can trust with my life! 

Me:What did you win along with the title of Miss New Jersey USA?

Michelle: Along with the job and responsibilities of being Miss New Jersey USA 2012, I received so many fabulous prizes including a salon and spa sponsor, DePasquale the Spa (they are Heaven on Earth), shoes, jewelry, my national evening gown from the Crowning Touch, hair products, makeup from Rain Cosmetics, pageant coaching from Crown Catchers, the best stylist in the world Raye-Anne Johnson…basically everything I need to prepare me for the Miss USA competition 

Me:What is your best Suffolk experience so far?

Michelle:My journalism classes with Professor Ferullo, he is honestly the best professor at Suffolk University. He pushed me to be the best writer I could be at this stage in my life, and taught me to look at the world in a different way. He isn’t an easy professor but he made me work hard and step outside my comfort zone.

This determined young lady has accomplished so much in her life already…and she is only 20 years old!  Michelle is the definition of inspiration and role model. She is looked up to as a gorgeous, brilliant, and mature representation of her state. Look out for Miss New Jersey 2012 competing for the Miss USA title on June 3rd  2012…your fellow classmates here at Suffolk wish you the best of luck!

Mackenzie's the name, Campus Correspondant for Suffolk is my game. 
My name is Alexa Mellardo and I am currently a sophomore and Broadcast Journalism major at Suffolk University, located in the heart of one of the most charming cities in the world: Boston. A passionate journalist, I am fortunate to be doing what I love to do….writing! When I’m not composing articles for two awesome online publications (hercampus.com and also collegefashionista.com) and attending classes, I intern at a trendy magazine in the city. In between, I love to shop and spend time with my friends and my boyfriend. I have two addictions: shopping and cupcakes. In light of that, what better place to be than just blocks away from Newbury Street, Charles Street and Quincy Market? My quaint, vintage brownstone apartment in Beacon Hill is where my two best friends and I keep it strictly classy and fashionable. We turned our apartment into a comfy fashionable haven, and we enjoy relaxing and entertaining our friends. Living in such an awesome city provides a wealth of opportunity, fun, and culture to embrace. My dream is to one day be a respected, well-known broadcast journalist.