The Story of Michelle Leonardo, Miss New Jersey USA 2012

Posted -

A Campus Celebrity Like No Other, Miss New Jersey USA

Twenty-year-old Michelle Leonardo, otherwise known as, “Miss New Jersey USA” from Tinton Falls, New Jersey, is a member of our very own student body here at Suffolk University. She is pursuing a degree in Journalism, and is extremely involved on campus. Michelle is a writer for the “Suffolk Voice,” and absolutely loves participating in Cooking 101 and the Suffolk University Dance Team.  Michelle’s involvement does not stop at the University’s walls; she also takes advantage of her Boston surroundings. Michelle is a college reporter for “Style It Up,” a television show founded in Boston. You may have also spotted her at Boston’s Fashion Week, covering Lily and Migs and Daniel Faucher Couture.

Michelle has been involved in the competitive pageant world since she was five-years old, her very fist title being, “Little Miss Hawaiian Tropic.”  Miss New Jersey USA described to us a few reasons why she got involved in pageantry, one of them being because of her Aunt Michelle. 

When Michelle’s Aunt was her age, she dreamt of becoming Miss USA. Sadly, at the age of 24, Michelle’s aunt was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia.  Michelle discusses this tragic event that took place in her family, “After five months of treatment, [Aunt Michelle] went into remission. The doctors said that if it didn't re-appear in two and a half years, she had a very good chance of beating it.  But two years and two months later, it came back. At the age of thirty, my aunt Michelle passed away. Two years later, I was born. My mom not only named me after her, but put me in dance classes and pageants because of my Aunt’s dream to be a professional dancer and pageant queen.”

Michelle pursued her careers in pageantry and dance, completely falling in love with both activities. She decided that she would accomplish “big things” in both the dance and pageant world, “not only for myself, but for my Aunt Michelle too.”

“Big things” is an understatement; Michelle has exceeded expectations in both aspects of her life.  She went on to win ample dance titles, scholarships, and choreographed dances that she knew her aunt “would be proud of.”  Her success did not stop here! Michelle eventually won the title of Miss New Jersey Teen USA 2008, and now she is Miss New Jersey USA 2012.

Get more HC!

Get the best of Her Campus, right in your inbox! Learn more.

About The Author

Mackenzie's the name, Campus Correspondant for Suffolk is my game. 

My name is Alexa Mellardo and I am currently a sophomore and Broadcast Journalism major at Suffolk University, located in the heart of one of the most charming cities in the world: Boston. A passionate journalist, I am fortunate to be doing what I love to do….writing! When I’m not composing articles for two awesome online publications (hercampus.com and also collegefashionista.com) and attending classes, I intern at a trendy magazine in the city. In between, I love to shop and spend time with my friends and my boyfriend. I have two addictions: shopping and cupcakes. In light of that, what better place to be than just blocks away from Newbury Street, Charles Street and Quincy Market?

My quaint, vintage brownstone apartment in Beacon Hill is where my two best friends and I keep it strictly classy and fashionable. We turned our apartment into a comfy fashionable haven, and we enjoy relaxing and entertaining our friends. Living in such an awesome city provides a wealth of opportunity, fun, and culture to embrace. My dream is to one day be a respected, well-known broadcast journalist.

Editor's Note

From Around The Web

We Recommend

User login