The Hype Around “Making a Murderer”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

“We can all say that we’re never going to commit a crime. But that doesn’t mean you won’t be accused” – Steven Avery’s defense attorney

The hit Netflix docuseries Making a Murderer has been the talk of the town lately!  Everyone has watched it or has been dying to. But what’s all the hype about?!

Take it from someone who binge-watched all ten episodes – this show is INTENSE.  It follows the true and still unraveling story of Steven Avery, a man from Wisconsin who served 18 years in jail in the 80’s and 90’s for a crime he did not commit. In the mid 2000’s, after his innocence is proven, he finds himself in another court room for a much larger conviction: murder. His defense team is impeccable, arguing that Avery was set up by the county police department to put him away for life after his story of innocence basically ruined their reputation.

Watching and hearing each piece of evidence unravel in this case will shock you. I still haven’t made up my mind about what I think is the truth. We learn that Avery did not commit his initial charge of rape that he served almost two decades for, but it’s still so hard to tell what really happened in the murder case. If you love 48 Hour Mystery and Dateline, you have to watch this docuseries. It’s of course interesting in the same way those shows are, but with a twist because this time an entire police department is on the line and may have actually done something horrible.