This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

He’s the one guy that has always been there for you. He’s the one that watches over you, makes you laugh, protects you, teases you in good fun, and would do absolutely anything for you. Show your dad (or that father figure in your life) how much you care by checking out these affordable (because let’s face it, we college girls are on a budget) gift ideas for this holiday season!

It always seems like dads (or guys in general) are so hard to buy for because every one has his own distinctive tastes and interests. Whether your dad is sporty, rough and tough, the handy man, or the business aficionado, we have gift ideas for all!

The Outdoorsy Dad: If your old man is the outdoor adventurer type that doesn’t mind waking up in a tent out in the middle of the woods. Or if he is the type that enjoys the simple pleasures of nature and hiking, consider these gifts:

“Gone Fishing” Gift Basket

Supply him with everything he needs for an impromptu fishing trip, containing snacks, a thermos, extra line, bobbers, bate, a pocketknife, a fishing pole, and whatever else he may need for a long day on the lake.

Price: $20 – $50 (depending what you add to the basket)

Hammock in a Bag

This fun, easy, and compact gift is ideal for camping or just setting up in the backyard. It’s more comfortable to sleep on than the ground, and is quick to set up on the go.

Price: about $30 on amazon.com

Bear Grylls Survival Series Ultimate Kit

This is a 15-piece survival kit built for hostile environments. It fits in his pack and has everything he’d need—including miniature multi-tools, a fire starter, wire cutters, knife, waterproof matches, and so on. Help your dad tackle the woods Bear Grylls style!

Price: $55 at L.L. Bean

Plant Guide Book

Books like “Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants in Wild (and Not So Wild) Places” are useful tools to help him find and identify over 500 plants and which to utilize and which to avoid.

Price: $15 at amazon.com

[pagebreak]

Single Dad: These gift ideas are great, whether your dad’s a sports maniac, focused on friends, or single and ready to mingle!

Tickets

Get your dad tickets to see his favorite band in concert or his favorite sports team play a home game. (If you get him two tickets maybe he’ll take you!) Accompany the tickets with either a band T-shirt or team merchandise, and you’ll be good to go.

Price: Tickets range in price depending on team/performer, venue, where you buy them, etc. but it could be anywhere between $20-$250 and up.

Poker Table

A nice fold up poker table will be the perfect for his weekly “boys nights” or as an addition to his Man Cave. Pair it with a poker chip set, deck of cards, and some snacks, and it’s a dream gift.

Price: $15 and up on amazon.com

Man-Friendly Cookbook

Don’t let him fall into the unhealthy habit of eating out all the time just because cooking can be complicated and time-consuming. Give him one of the top ten cookbooks for fathers like, “See Dad Cook,” “Eating In,” or “Single Man’s Guide to Easy Meals” that offer quick, simple recipes for a busy man.

Price: depending on the book, $5 to $25 on amazon.com

Cologne

Use your feminine instincts, and sniff out cologne that you think best suits your dad. Be his wingman and make it something that the ladies will notice and love, like the Acqua di Gio Pour Homme Collection by Giorgio Armani, Calvin Klein’s Encounter, or D&G Light Blue.

Price: $15 – $40 at Macy’s

[pagebreak]

Geeky Dad: If your dad is into all the latest tricks and gadgets, he might be interested in some of these one of a kind products.

Flying Alarm Clock

Does he have trouble getting up in the morning? Not anymore. When the alarm goes off, the propeller makes it fly around the room, forcing him to get up to shut it off (both a blessing and a curse).

Price: $18 on amazon.com

Technology Cases

iPhone, iPad, and laptop cases are kind of like purses – you can change them. But, surprisingly, this is something that many dads don’t seem to realize. Get him a few cases, skins, and/or protectors to change it up every once in awhile.

Price: $1 to $25 on cellphoneshop.net

PowerSquid

If your dad is a tech geek with lots of electrical cords, he will love this power strip that has flexible arms of varying lengths to alleviate the problem of varying sizes of power boxes, plugs, and converters.

Price: $10 on thinkgeek.com

Ice Dozer

The worst thing on a bitter cold, wintery morning is coming outside to a car’s windshield that is caked in frozen snow and ice. This product is designed to manhandle ice and frost 2-3 times faster than most regular ice scrapers. The 7″ wide scraper blade has teeth for clearing ice, and an edge that flexes to follow the curvature of your windshield for total contact with the surface at all times.

Price: $18 on cozywinters.com

[pagebreak]

Business Dad: Whether your dad is a self-made businessman or the CEO of a major corporation, he would be glad to have these items in and around the office, or while traveling on business trips.

Memory Foam Travel Pillow

Whether in the car, on the plane, or in a hotel room, this memory foam travel pillow is a wonderful and appreciated addition to your dad’s travel kit. Not only is it comfortable, but it’s also essential for a restful nights sleep away from home.

Price: $40 at bizchair.com

Monogrammed Shirts

Personalize and customize his business-wear with monogrammed and embroidered polos and dress shirts. It’s a simple gesture that will look professional, tailored, and be the envy of his co-workers.

Price: $3 to $10 at your local seamstress

Universal Travel Adapter

If your dad travels outside of the United States, a universal power adapter is an essential part of his traveling equipment.  This adapter is compact and fully functional.

Price: $30 to $50 at Kohl’s

Mug on a Mug

No businessman can start his day without a big cup of coffee (and then maybe several more throughout the day). Customize your own mug by maybe putting a picture of the two of you on it, so he’ll be reminded of you all day long. Fill the mug with gift cards to his favorite coffee shops like Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks to give his morning the jolt that it needs.

Price: $12 on shutterfly.com

[pagebreak]

Sporty/Fitness Dads: If your dad is into staying fit and active, when he’s not hitting the gym, he’s stocking up on energy bars and protein shakes. His style is casual and sporty, and he enjoys being active indoors and out. These gifts will help him keep young , healthy, and on track.

Omron Pedometer

This is a great pedometer for walkers, joggers, or runners. It digitally measures the number of steps he takes, and calculates distance and calories burned. The display is easy to read, and includes a seven-day memory of his stats. It also has a clock, so there’s no need to wear a watch.

Price: $30 at BodyTronics Super Fitness Store

At-Home Fitness DVDs

These are great for dads that don’t think they have time to work out or don’t want to pay for a gym membership. The DVDs are often inexpensive, and usually the workouts utilize things he’d already have around the house. Get him a GNC or Vitamin World gift card to go along with these so he can stalk up on all his protein powder and bars.

Price: $5 to $25 on amazon.com

iPod Arm Band

Arm band cases for your dad’s iPod or MP3 player are convenient and functional. It straps comfortably on his arm, and holds his device securely while he is running, jogging or biking. For any dad who likes to listen to music or other audio while exercising, this would be a great gift.

Price: $18 at Target

[pagebreak]

The Handy Man: Lots of dads are the do-it-yourself type that likes to build, create, and fix things in and around the house, so help make his hobby a little easier with some of these gifts.

Home Repair Book

Buying your dad a top rated do it yourself book from the most trusted and experienced name in the DIY field will help him save money and give him the confidence to tackle anything. Whatever his skill level — from beginner to expert – he will find this book an invaluable and essential resource.

Price: $15 on amazon.com

Tool Kit

A starter tool kit is an excellent way to build up your dad’s tool collection. All the screwdrivers, wrenches, and other basic hand tools can be found in the sets. Also get him a gift card for Home Depot or Lowes, so he can stock up on all the things he needs for his next project with the kit.

Price: $30 at shop.com

Portable Workbench

A workbench that he can fold up and bring with him is practical and convenient. They’re sturdy, adjustable, and contain measuring scales and protractors, as well as safety pads, all meant to handle his DIY projects.

Price: $25 to $50 on amazon.com

[pagebreak]

Backyard King: Many dads love to spend their time outside, in the yard, or on the grill. Here are some gift ideas for the father who’s always the cookout king.

Stake Barbecue Tool

If your dad is tired of the ordinary BBQ equipment, give him a tool like this that will simplify the backyard cooking process. This all-in-one tool transforms from spatula, to fork, to tongs, so he has all he needs in this one tool.

Price $30 on amazon.com

Grill Umbrella

Help him cook, rain or shine, with a grill umbrella that attaches to the base of the grill to help keep dad and dinner dry. It comes in a variety of colors and designs.

Price: $30 at Benny’s

Battery Operated Grill Brush

The one drawback of cooking on a barbecue is the need to clean the grill. It is certainly one of the messiest jobs for any outdoor cook. This battery operated grill brush makes clean up a lot easier. It has a stainless steel scraper and a rotary brass bristle brush.

Price: $35 on pricegrabber.com

Beer

And sometimes the Backyard King just likes to relax after a long day of hard yard work. Get your dad his favorite beer and a funny or sports-themed coozie to keep it cold.

Price: $8 to $14 six pack

Dads can be tricky to shop for, but consider some of these great gifts! Personalize them, give it some thought, and make this holiday a memorable one for your old man. 

Hey everyone! My name is Becca DeMello and I'm a Junior, majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Marketing and Psychology at Suffolk University in the great city of Boston, MA. Aside from Her Campus, I'm also involved in Theta Phi Alpha, one of the sororities here on campus! I love books, dogs, running, dressing up, writing, the Red Sox, memorable quotes, peanut butter, and cheetah print! I'll leave you with two of my favorite quotes that I think sum me up just right: "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius "She is clothed in strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future." - Proverbs 31:25
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.