Adam Kaplan: Radio Voice & Suffolk Basketball Player

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Adam Kaplan is known for having a “think positive, be positive, and positive things will happen” mindset. Following this mantra, he has made a big impact through his radio show, as well as his involvement with the basketball team, and he’s just getting started.

Name: Adam Kaplan

Age: 21

Hometown: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Major: Public Relations, minor in Journalism

Year: Junior

What made you decide to come to Suffolk?

I transferred to Suffolk after my freshman year. I was at Curry College in Milton, MA, and I was in the middle of nowhere. I wanted to be in a big city with a lot of people and at a school with a good reputation. It was a great decision.

What sparked your interest in hosting your own radio show at Suffolk?

I was going to do a podcast with a couple of friends, but the equipment is very expensive. I found out Suffolk had a radio station with free equipment and free on-air time, so I thought it would be a good way to get my name out there. Through Facebook, The Adam Kaplan Show has blown up. It was supposed to just be for fun with a couple of friends. We obviously love the attention that we have received so far.

You’ve interviewed two people that Jimmy Kimmel has interviewed. Who are they, and how has it impacted your show?

I interviewed Don Barris, who is the warm-up comic for Kimmel. He hosts The Ding Dong Show every night at the Comedy Store in LA, which is the biggest comedy store in America. I contacted Don through Facebook. I’m a big fan of the movie he did with Kimmel and Bob Goldthwait, called Windy City Heat. It’s my all-time favorite comedy, and if you haven’t seen it, you have to; it’s hilarious. It’s the funniest movie I’ve ever seen.

I also interviewed Perry Caravello, the star of Windy City Heat. Perry’s known for being kind of “out there.” I hope he doesn’t sue me, he sues a lot of people. Don likes to play pranks on Perry, as you’ll see in Windy City Heat, as well The Big 3 podcast and their new reality show coming out summer 2014. He sued Kimmel one time. Perry at first wanted $500 to come on my show, and I wasn’t going to do that. Don found out about the money issue, and when Perry caught wind that my show was successful with Don, he immediately called me for an interview on a Monday night at 11:00. Perry took an hour and 15 minutes to talk to me. It was a very unexpected interview.

What are your future expectations for your radio show?

Right now, three of my co-hosts are graduating. Next year, it will just be Mario Tavolier and myself. The three seniors on my show are David Frederick, Chris Cercone, and Vasili Stroganov. We’re all really good friends, and I’m going to miss them a lot next year. But Mario and I will continue their tradition, and we’ll keep entertaining our fans. We love our fans!

You’ve been involved with Suffolk’s basketball team. How has that influenced your time at Suffolk?

When I left home for the first time at 18 years old, I was only thinking about basketball. I regretted that decision immediately, because basketball is just a little part of life. My family, my friends, and their health and happiness, as well as being a good person are a billion times more important. I’ve only played one full season, and that was at Curry. I’ve had to miss the last 2 seasons because of injuries, which are out of anyone’s control. I’ve unfortunately had a lot of bad injuries, but I’m not upset because it’s a part life. I still love the game. I can walk, and I have 10 fingers and toes, so I’m happy. I also have a great girlfriend (Writer’s Note: That’s me!). I’m a very lucky guy.

What are your future career expectations?

I’m leaning towards radio or coaching after graduation. If I go into radio, I want to work in a city like Boston, LA, New York, or Miami. I have a brother in LA, and family in Miami. New York is the capital of the world, and in Boston, I’ve made so many great and amazing friends that I’ll have for a lifetime. The reason I want to go into coaching is because I really love basketball. By sitting out the last two seasons, I’ve been able to see the game from a very different perspective. The injuries have been very frustrating, but I was never going to be a professional basketball player. I really like teaching the game, and you can have a very positive impact on people in doing this.

Who has influenced your coaching decision?

My high school coach in Florida, Adam Ross. He was a great coach, but I never realized how much I loved playing for him until I graduated. My high school team was one of the best in the history of Florida. We went 28-4, and won the state championship. We had 7 guys play college basketball. But it was the off the court stuff he did for my teammates and me that made him so memorable. He went out of his way to make us feel good about ourselves. He always made sure we were getting our work done in the classroom and that we always showed class. Even to this day if I ever need him, he is there for me. His team is one of the best eight out of all of the high schools in America, and they won the Florida state championship. With all of this going on, he still has time to Facebook me or call me to just say hi, and I really appreciate that. He has a lot on his plate, but still has time. He told me that I’m very good with people, and that I know what I’m talking about. He wants me to come back to Florida and work for him.

You’re known for your “positive mind equals positive life” vibe, on your radio show and in person. What made you reach that mindset?

Well, actually, injuries did. My sophomore year, I hurt my hip really bad, and I missed the whole season. I also got very sick and lost 25 pounds. Through all of that, I kept in mind that somebody always has it worse, and I’m just thankful that I’m still walking. I got hurt again this year, and I realized that you can’t take anything for granted in life, and you have to live every day to the fullest. I always try to make at least one person’s day better. I would like to make everyone’s’ day better, because I just like to see people healthy and happy. Unfortunately, there’s too much hatred in this world. Nelson Mandela had a quote: “No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.” I agree with this quote; we are all part of one race- the human race. 

Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.