City Series: Tokyo, Japan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

Where to Visit

Tokyo has endless things to do and it can often be hard to prioritise things to see/do when you are only visiting for a weekend. Without a doubt, if you are visiting Tokyo expect to be constantly moving from place to place in order to try and squeeze everything in from this amazing city. But here are some things that you must do. Firstly, you must see the Shibuya Crossing at peak time in the evening, where hundreds of people will cross the road at the same time, its crazy! It is also great to do some shopping whilst in Tokyo and you most definitely will find some weird and wonderful things to buy. Shibuya 101 shopping centre is a really good place to start or head to Harajuku and take a walk down Takeshita street where you will find the best fashion boutiques. After you’ve tired yourself out with shopping it might be good to see some amazing sights of Tokyo. Take a walk through the grounds of the Meji Shrine in Shibuya where you can make a wish or go to the Tokyo government Metropolitan building observation deck and take a look over the full of Tokyo. If it is a nice day take a walk through the amazing gyoen park where you can relax amongst the trees in the middle of the enormous city. Although if you really would like to relax you must visit a Japanese Onsen which is a hot springs, you can relax in hot baths outside. 

Where to Eat

Without a doubt Japan has some of the best food in the world and there is definitely not a shortage of restaurants and cafes in Tokyo. Try some ramen noodles and some miso soup or try their world famous sushi. There are plenty of places where they serve the sushi on a conveyor belt. Tokyo is also famous for their themed restaurants and cafes. The Alice in wonderland restaurant is among one of them where you will be served by Alice herself in a wonderland themed restaurant and can also drink some cute cocktails from tea cups. There is also the robot café where you will feel as if you have entered a different world where everything is psychedelic and electronic. If you have a sweet tooth make sure you try the famous Japanese crepes where you can add all different sweets and ice cream, you will find them on most street corners.

Where to Drink

If you like to have a drink and sing some karaoke then Tokyo has plenty to offer. It is easy to find a karaoke place where you will be given individuals karaoke pods with drinks and can even play dress up in bunny suits and maid costumes. There are also plenty of cat cafes where you can chill out with a coffee and have a little cuddle from a cat. There’s even the same for owls! 

Make sure to follow @HerCampusStrath on Twitter and Instagram and Like our Facebook page!

Written by Alana Scott 

Hi, my name is Caitlin and I am a third year BA (Hons) International Business student currently majoring in Marketing and Entrepreneurship. I am a lover of all things beauty and makeup related and in my spare time I love to read fashion and beauty blogs to keep up with the latest trends. I am also a keen traveller, having spent 4 months studying in Montreal, Canada last year which was the best experience of my life to date!