Jon Yuen: “Be patient, don’t rush into things”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Name: Jonathon Yuen

Year: Junior

Major: Computer Science

Hometown: Queens, NY

Relationship Status: “Single and ready to mingle” *insert clicking finger gun sounds*

Favorite movie: “It’s either Space Jam, Men in Black, or Batman Begins.”

Idea of a perfect date: “Netflix and chill…but legitimately like Netflix and chill. I feel like if someone offered me Netflix and chill and we didn’t watch Netflix I would be extremely dissatisfied.”

Piece of advice you wish you could give your freshman self: “Be patient. Don’t rush into things as much, just be yourself and do you. Don’t be so focused on fulfilling some imaginary goal you have. Do what feels natural. When I was a freshman I immediately bolted myself into a relationship and I wasn’t ready for it and I wasn’t very sure of it. I feel like it was something I shouldn’t have done. So a message I would say to all freshmen is that you don’t necessarily have to get into a relationship just because its college. Move at your own pace, you don’t have to adhere to anything.”

Favorite memory at Stony Brook so far: “This past summer I was a conference assistant. I worked as a summer RA/ camp counselor with high school aged kids who were really smart and were doing scientific research here. I got to know them and we grew very close so I was really sad when they all had to leave. It was a really great experience, very nice.”

Skin care secret: “I was born with it. I don’t know, I wash it with water…sometimes soap. I shower…usually. No I shower. That’s really it.”

Lip care secret: “Burt bees lip balm.”

Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor