How to Keep Your Semester on Track

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Having finally gotten back into our schedules after spring break, we sometimes still feel a bit groggy, perhaps mentally and emotionally overwhelmed, and not entirely willing to part with our beds back at home, many of us can’t deny that the remainder of the semester is going to be long. And difficult. And riddled with countless exams and assignments.

Perhaps many of us are crying on the inside. And on the outside.

But despite all of that, there is still much we can do to prepare ourselves for the remaining weeks of school and to ensure we remain on track. Maybe there’s a bad habit you couldn’t shake in the first half of the semester, but now that you’ve had a bit of a breather, it’s time to get rid of that habit once and for all. Whatever it might be, there are steps, both large and small, we can all take to regain control of our lives and make sure we have a good spring semester.

See your major adviser and make sure you are registered for the right fall semester classes. It may sound daunting at first (it’s only April and we have to think about classes for the fall? What?!) but it’s really not as bad as it seems. Scheduling an appointment with your major adviser and sitting down to discuss with him/her your future courses can be extremely helpful, especially if you’re not sure where to start. Advisers explain to you not only which classes you need to take next semester, but they may also outline a general plan of action for the rest of your time in college. After talking with your adviser, you most likely will have a better understanding of which classes you need and when, and feel at least a little less overwhelmed at your future academic prospects.   

Set up a consistent schedule for yourself. A key component to success is consistency. If your sleeping, eating or exercising routine was a little (or a lot) off in previous weeks, and you felt it was impossible to get back into the swing of things, now is the time to make yourself a schedule and stick to it. Many people make the excuse of being too busy and not having enough time. And yes, classes, homework, and studying for exams are all important and an inevitable part of college. However, there is no substitute for a good night’s sleep, three proper meals throughout the day, and some physical activity to get your blood pumping. Of course, that’s not to say you have to maintain a strict regimen every day of the week; inevitably, you will slip up here and there or not have enough time on a certain day to do everything you wanted. But, ultimately, there is merit in creating a plan for yourself and knowing there is a time and place to accomplish each of your goals.

Clear time to do something that makes you happy. In the midst of all this stress and mental burnout, you deserve a break every once in a while. The beauty of this is that you can do whatever makes you happy personally. Whether it be something large scale, like spending an entire day on the weekend to visit and explore a new place, or something much smaller such as taking an hour out of your day to meditate or listen to music, it’s important that you at least occasionally step back and let yourself relax. It’s like what my aunt once told me a long time ago, “Doing something that makes you happy is like taking a vitamin for your soul.”

Gif courtesy of Mashable 

Kailey Walters

Stony Brook '19

I'm a simple girl. My idea of a good time is a quiet night with friends or curling up with a good book. Some of my other favorite things include running, swimming, people watching, and of course, writing what I know. Currently an English and Psychology double major with a Creative Writing minor, graduation bound in spring 2019!
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor