Dorothy Mai: Her Campus Stony Brook Vice President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Name: Dorothy Mai

Year: Sophomore 

Major: Journalism 

Hometown: Staten Island, NY

Why did you join Her Campus Stony Brook?

Dorothy: “I joined Her Campus Stony Brook because it was a club that appealed to me the most when I was a freshman. It allowed me to write and produce pieces without censorship and be published for potential clips. I also love the idea of it being such a huge media outlet for women on college campuses enabling us to express ourselves more freely. We have a great group of girls on our team and I’m proud to be a part of it.” 

Dorothy, far right, with the Her Campus Stony Brook writers. 

What is the article you are most proud of? 

Dorothy: “The article I am most proud of is a very personal article that was actually promoted on the national Her Campus page. I called it ‘How I Overcame Not Being a Stereotypical Asian.’ I talked about how my physical appearance and personality doesn’t reflect on being the typical Asian girl, but I learned to accept and appreciate my flaws as that’s what makes me different. No one likes ‘basic.'”

What has been your favorite Stony Brook moment so far?

Dorothy: “My favorite moment at Stony Brook so far would probably be this past Homecoming where I really got to let go and be comfortable with my amazing group of friends. Without them, I don’t know if my experience at Stony Brook would be the same.” 

Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor