Style > Beauty

The Beauty Beat: Nude to Neon Nails

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder: it really is subjective. This proverb holds true especially in the world of fashion where one season’s trends can be as flabbergasting as the next seasons’ are fabulous.

In fashion magazines, ‘beauty’ refers to nails, hair and makeup styles. Beauty articles are meant to provide readers with trending updates, tips, and advice. Their alternative purpose (worth recognition) is to spur readers to shell out cash for products that will make them look – and thus somehow feel – better, even more beautiful. I’ll make it clear now: I don’t believe that makeup creates beauty and I’m all for the au naturel look. I even recommend taking a break from the brushes for at least one day a week.

I do believe, though, in this redeeming quality of beauty articles: they’re also written to offer readers some fun! Makeup can transform your look in one minute, and a haircut or new ‘do can complement your outfit or make you stand out from the crowd – and you can totally switch things up tomorrow!

In Her Campus St. Olaf’s new beauty blog, The Beauty Beat, I hope to direct you to fun ideas, leave you with step-by-step instructions to create cool looks, and keep you on trend with the beauty world. Although we’re already halfway through our second semester, I plan to provide you with articles on all things beauty until the very end. I’d also love to hear your suggestions/questions/comments. Leave them below this post and I’ll be sure to address them!

For this, The Beauty Beat’s first week, I ask you to consider a few current nail trends: nude, ombre and neon

Nude

Nude nails are hot in fashion right now! Featured in Derek Lam and Giorgio Armani spring 2012 runway shows, they’re perfect off the catwalk for a job or internship interview.

Understated and sophisticated, they add polish (no pun intended) to any look. They’re also ideal nail wear for spring and summer weddings, both for the bridal party and guests. While they are a great alternative to the popular French manicure, just be sure to file your nails nicely and keep them clean – nude nails bare all!

Ombre

Ombre nails are very in as another beauty trend,  ombre hair ( also called dip-dye hair), takes center stage. 

Perfect for date nights and parties – you will make an impression – this nail style screams for attention. In comparison with nude and neon though, ombre is the hardest polish to do yourself. Luckily, this step-by-step tutorial makes it easier!

Neon – 

Neon nails are my favorite current nail trend and I’m sporting bright orange polish right now. They liven up any outfit and are sure to attract comment.

Don’t be afraid to clash nail color with clothing colors, as long as they’re both neon!

Switching up your nail color is a quick and easy beauty trick – not to mention one of the cheapest. Head to Northfield’s Target or Walgreens and invest that pocket change in some polish!

Remember, have fun with it!
xoxo Lucy

*Photo credits: Pinterest.com

Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com