Single Girl Diaries: How to Survive Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stetson chapter.

The day is coming upon us, D-day V-day. All of my friends are all dressed up and raving about how sweet their boyfriends are and how it’s going to be the most spectacular Valentine’s Day ever. Vomit. Honestly there’s no point in having a date just for the night because that’s #1 awkward and #2 a little weird to just go out with someone new that night. My plan (and yours too if you want to make it to February 15th alive and sane)? Having a “me” night and realizing why I’m in the best relationship a girl can be in, one with myself.

There’s 3 things you need to survive this Thursday; good food, strong drinks, and a gory film.

Here’s my top choices to for each:

Junk food galore!!!

As single ladies, we don’t need to try and impress anyone tonight so eat whatever you want! I’m not saying this is a first class pity party where your stuff your face, but you are fabulous and deserve to pamper yourself for the night, judgment free!

Down the hatch

We’re not saying break out the Absinthe, but what a better way to unwind from the overwhelming display of love and affection all day with a mixed drink. I suggest vodka cranberry because the pink fits the “Valentines” theme but the vodka adds that little kick to remind you love isn’t always sweet.

Roses are red, violets are blue, the bloodier the movie, the better for you

Rom coms are a no go for today. Actually, avoid any movie that even has a couple in it unless they’re being chopped into pieces. Let’s be honest, the last thing you want to see is people in love. You need something mindless, gory and the worse the plot line the better. Find the worst rated movie, with the most unknown actors and not only will you forget it’s the day of love; you might actually get a few cheap laughs out of it, especially if you’ve had a few vodka crans!!

As single ladies, we need to take back February 14th and make it more about self-love than self-loathing. Single girls shouldn’t be made martyrs for our noncommittal choice, we should be celebrated and if the world’s not ready for us we’ll just celebrate ourselves!

XOXO, Single Girl

Single Girl is your typical college girl trying to survive college life on her own. She allows for a unique perspective on the inner workings of a single girl's brain and says things that every girl in a relationship is too scared or timid to say. Single Girl offers advice, reasoning, and a few funny stories of the trials of being single in college!