Kunal Datta ‘14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

Kunal Datta ’14 is one of the many Stanford students who throws himself into a wide variety of academic and recreational ambitions.  What sets him apart, though, is the degree to which he’s found success in all of them.  He’s a recording artist and a published poet, he plays 15 different instruments, and on top of all that, he’s started a non-profit with his current girlfriend (how cute is that?) called the Downstream Foundation. His organization brings water filters to communities without clean water, specifically in India.

Kunal’s passion for music is palpable when his eyes light up anytime you mention anything related to the subject. He believes that “music is the purest form of being able to bring across your own thoughts and feelings, because it makes other people feel everything along with you.” Kunal believes that emotions are universal, so his music should be able to touch at least one other person in some way. No feeling is completely unique; there’s always someone out there who can relate to you. It’s this same understanding that drives Kunal’s desire to expand his non-profit. Kunal believes that every person wants to change at least one problem in the world, whether it be big or small. To that end, Kunal is currently working on getting students from other universities involved in the non-profit. The plan for the Downstream Foundation is to allow anyone to “save the world in any way you want to save it”. Kunal and Helen, the other co-founder for the organization, want to empower anyone with charitable intentions; he wants to help facilitate the desires of people like himself.

Considering how intense his life is now, it seems like Kunal is on the track to leaving his mark on this world. Looking to the future, Kunal wants to continue with his music and with the Downstream Foundation. He also wants to start his own energy firm. Kunal will continue living life to the fullest with the philosophy that “life is a chilled-out scene.” Kunal tries to maximize his time without stressing himself out, is a way of living from which all college students can benefit. With an interesting outlook on a life and a desire to change the world with both his music and his actions, Kunal is headed for anything but a “chilled-out” life. 

If you’d like to get involved with the Downstream Foundation or hear some of Kunal’s music, you can follow the links below:

http://www.downstreamfoundation.com/
http://www.kunaldatta.com