StO-Style: Transition Season – Dressing for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hi fashionistas!

Fall weather is finally here! The leaves crunch below our feet and the breeze is cool and crisp – especially for those of us up on the Hill. 

I love dressing for this transition season. From skirts to sweaters and scarves to boots, fall is filled with endless opportunity. It’s sometimes hard not to dress too “summer-y” or too “winter-y” in this phase, and I want to offer up some ideas for how to dress for this transition season by mixing and matching pieces to create the perfect fall look. 

First of all, don’t be afraid to mix summer with winter to create a fall look. Try pairing a floral skirt with a chunky sweater and ankle boots. The skirt adds a spark of summer, yet the sweater gives the outfit a cozy vibe. You could also do this with more “summer-y” dresses. Layer a loose crew neck sweater over your dress, add a belt and boots, and you’ve got the perfect fall ensemble!

I also think flats are a perfect transition item for fall outfits. I always like pairing flats with slightly cropped pair of jeans, a collared shirt, and a chunky necklace. Flats are the kind of shoes I love to take advantage of in the fall before the Minnesota snow begins to fall. They are the perfect transition between sandals and boots. 

Layering is also key to dressing for this transition season. How many times have you left your dorm in the morning feeling chilled, but by the middle of the day you began to feel too hot? Fall is unpredictable. So, try to outsmart Mother Nature and dress in layers! Put on that extra cardigan, wear a chambray, or layer a sweater over a collared shirt. 

Paying attention to balance in your fall outfit is also important. For fall, I always find the rule of either showing more leg or more arm essential. When creating an outfit, try pairing a long-sleeved top (this could be in the form of a cardigan, denim jacket, chambray, etc…) with a short bottom like a skirt or pair of neutral shorts. Otherwise, pair a long length on the bottom (jeans, leggings, colored denim, etc…) with a short top like a short-sleeved shirt and a denim vest. Since fall still has warm weather, play around with balancing short and long before winter comes and all you want to do is bundle up!

Scarves and boots are also essential for fall outfits. I usually find a scarf just as warm as putting on another full layer. Have fun with how you wear scarves! Mix them with your chambray and  skirt outfit. Try a dress and a scarf, and pair this with ankle boots! I love the look of a short bottom (skirt or dress) with ankle boots. In my opinion, this look is the epitome of fall fashion.

Tights are also a good addition to a fall wardrobe. Pair a dress with tights and boots. Even add some cute long socks to peek out from the top of your boots.  

Finally, don’t forget to accessorize with jewelry! Fall is the time of year where you can still go sans-jacket. Take advantage of this time to show off your stylish jewelry! Throw on that extra bracelet or layer on a few necklaces. Jewelry will top-off your perfect fall look. 

Enjoy dressing for this transition season! 

Stay fashionable, Oles! 

Mix&Match

Flats

Layering

Balance

Scarf

Tights

Accessories 

Cover Photo

Kate Roy is a junior, Psychology and Dance double major at St. Olaf College. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus St. Olaf, she enjoys writing, editing, and helping her fellow Oles get their voices heard. Kate is involved in CompanyDance, the modern dance company at St. Olaf. In her free time, Kate loves to spend time with friends, listen to music, browse Her Campus, flip through fashion magazines, and eat chocolate.  Kate is a fashionista and has a passion for all things dealing with fashion. She works at Madewell, and enjoys getting experience in the fashion world. Kate headed the Her Campus St. Olaf College style blog, StO-Style (now Snapshot), for the 2013-2014 school year. She loved this position and hopes to continue her fashion writing in the future. Kate is extrememly excited to share the position of Campus Correspondent for the 2014-2015 school year and expand her involvement with St. Olaf's Her Campus Chapter.