photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Ole FIt: Be Thankful for Fitness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

With cold weather keeping us indoors and an abundance of food, the holiday season can be stressful when it comes to maintaining a workout routine.

Body image is often talked about as a negative thing, so it’s easy to worry about over-indulging and gaining a few extra pounds. However, it is important to indulge a little. ‘Tis the season after all. Instead of focusing on how many jumping jacks it’s going to take you to burn off the calories from your turkey and gravy you’ll be consuming on Thursday, make a promise to yourself that you’ll continue whatever routine you have set in place, despite how much you want to stay inside and eat seconds (and even thirds) of Grandma’s green bean casserole. If you don’t have a workout routine, there’s no time like the present to start one. Sign up for the nearest Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving Day. The negative windchill’s keeping you indoors? Create holiday-related workouts to your favorite 25 days of Christmas movie or change your workout playlist up to include some “Jingle Bell Rock.” Whatever the workout and whatever the motivation, stay positive, be confident and feel fantastic!

It’s important to reshape the negativity of body image into something more positive. Instead of working out to lose weight, work out because you want to make healthy choices that will improve your body’s day-to-day function. Instead of doing extra sit ups to get your bikini body ready, realize that a “perfect bikini body” is your body in a bikini. Love the skin you’re in!

There’s a lot to be thankful for this holiday season, and among that is being thankful that you’re taking initiative to take care of your body in a healthy and self-respecting way.

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving,

Xoxo Ole Fit

P.S. It’s okay to go back for seconds on pie :)

Cover PhotoTurkey Trot