Ole Entertainment: 4 Movies To Catch Over Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hey Oles! Thanksgiving Break is coming up, providing us all with a much-needed break from the grind of our everyday lives. Take the time off to treat yourself and check out one of these new films with family or friends!

Interstellar

Starring Hollywood powerhouses Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain and Michael Caine, Interstellar is a science fiction film about a group of astronauts who travel through a wormhole in search of a new planet to sustain human life. Director Christopher Nolan collaborated closely with theoretical physicist Kip Thorne, whose work inspired the film, so if you’re interested in concepts like time dilation and black holes, this is a movie worth checking out.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay- Part 1

The first part of the third installment in The Hunger Games film series, based off the books of the same name, follows heroine Katniss Everdeen as she becomes a symbol of hope and rebellion against the Capitol after the Third Quarter Quell. One of the most anticipated films of 2014, critics have praised the film for its political themes and impressive performances. The only bad part is that we’ll have to wait another year for the second part to come out!

The Imitation Game

The Imitation Game is based on the story of Alan Turing, a key figure in World War II history for cracking Nazi Germany’s Enigma code only to be prosecuted for his homosexuality. Benedict Cumberbatch stars as Turing in this highly acclaimed film, which may be in the running for Best Picture at this year’s Oscars.

Foxcatcher

Foxcatcher is a gritty biographical drama that tells the story of Olympic Wrestling champion Mark Schultz and his paranoid-schizophrenic coach, who murdered Schultz’s brother in 1996. Steve Carell and Channing Tatum take a serious step away from their typical comedic roles for this film, which they star in alongside Mark Ruffalo.

cover photo, interstellar, mockingjay, imitation, foxcatcher

Lindsey Tucker is a freshman at St. Olaf College, and is the writer for the Ole Entertainment Blog. When she's not scoping out new music tracks or browsing Netflix for the next show to watch, she enjoys playing accordion with The Runestones, whipping up tasty drinks in The Cage and attending the occasional concert.