Humans of St. Olaf: Tyler Benning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Year: 2017

Major: Political Science and Biology

Favorite class you’ve taken:

Political Science research practicum

Favorite study spot:

4th floor Rolvaag… if you can get a seat near an outlet, of course!

Favorite caf creation:

Weekend brunch burrito with eggs, hash browns, bacon, cheese, and onions

Favorite St. Olaf memory:

The Electric Run and Highlighter dance during my sophomore year was pretty fantastic. Shoutout to SGA and ADC for putting that together!

Also, I’ve LOVED playing broomball during Interim – that’s definitely a highlight!

Coffee or tea?

Definitely coffee! I’m already dreading the day when I don’t have free coffee at every breakfast…

Have you ever studied abroad? Where would you like to go?

I spent an Interim taking Medicinal Chemistry in Jamaica. I loved learning about the biochemsitry behind pharmaceuticals, and the country was beautiful. I would love to go back!

Is there anything new that you still want to try while on the hill?

I’ve never gone sledding down Old Main Hill. But unless we have another freak May snow storm, I think I’ve lost my chance :(

What is a community on campus that you feel proud to be a part of and why?

I’m proud to be part of the Catholic Student Association. There aren’t a ton of practicing Catholics on campus, so I love being part of a group of Catholics that live their faith vibrantly.

What are your plans for after college?

In two years I hope to attend medical school. I would love to enroll in a dual MD-Masters of Public Policy program so I can integrate my love of politics with my medical career.

All pictures were uploaded with permission from Tyler.