Humans of St. Olaf: Meryl Nath

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Major: Biology

Year: 2018

Favorite class you’ve taken:

My favorite class that I’ve taken so far at St. Olaf is biochemistry.  I’m a biology major and my favorite part of biology is learning about the complex molecular interactions within organisms.  I find it really rewarding to study gene and protein expression and enjoy researching aspects of biomolecular science that are not yet understood.  This summer, I am working in a research lab at the Mayo Clinic and I am very excited to explore protein expression in the body!

Favorite study spot:

I spend most of my time on the 3rd floor of Regents.  Since there are so many windows in Regents, there is a lot of natural light and beautiful views outside.   

Favorite caf creation:

Plain Greek yogurt mixed with raspberry jam and granola. It’s my go-to dessert after dinner!

Favorite cage order in the morning:

Chai tea latte with a coffee shot and a blueberry muffin. 

Coffee or tea?

Both! I love the taste of coffee in the morning (my favorite is a medium roast) and it definitely provides an energy boost for my day. However, I really enjoy having a cup of herbal tea, usually chamomile or orange tea, during the afternoon or evening. 

Favorite music:

This is a hard question for me because I love listening to music and have a hard time picking a favorite artist! Some artists I enjoy are Florence and the Machine, Chance the Rapper, Bon Iver, Beyonce, the Punch Brothers, Lauryn Hill, Hurrah for the Riff Raff, Solange, Lorde and Noname. 

Favorite movie?

This question is hard for me as well because I really enjoy movies! Anything with Leonardo DiCaprio is amazing; The Aviator and Inception are two of my favorites of his. I’m also going to admit something rather nerdy that Lord of the RIngs is one of my favorite trilogies!

Favorite article of clothing: 

I really love warm and colorful scarves. Scarves provide a simple and fun way to change up an outfit without too much effort! Also, warm scarves are essential for me when winter hits because I am always cold. 

If you were given a $20 Target gift card, what would you buy?  

Cooking and baking are two of my favorite pastimes so I would most likely buy food to try a new recipe. Last summer, I mastered the art of making homeade pies, including the crust, from scratch! I would also explore the clothing and earring section because Target has some pretty great deals.

Have you ever studied abroad? Where would you like to go?

I went on the St. Olaf Italian Art in Context trip over last interim. We spent a week in Sicily, three days in Rome, two days in Assisi, and two weeks in Florence. It was a fantastic experience in which we explored Ancient Greek, Roman, Islamic, Punic, Medieval, Renaissance, and Modern art! I applied to the Equatorial Biology Interim trip for next interim. This would involve exploring the natural history of Ecuadorian ecosystems including the Galapagos Islands and Amazon Rainforest. It sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I really hope that I can go!

Is there anything new that you still want to try while on the hill?

One of my favorite pastimes is singing and I want to try out for a musical or opera next year. On a completely different note, I also need to try caf tray sledding next winter!

What do you hope to do after college?

That’s a good question…. I’m considering a couple of options right now. I am very interested in the medical field, specifically pediatrics, because I find it very rewarding to work in children’s healthcare. Public health is another field that I am passionate about and I am considering getting my masters in public health. Since I enjoy both research and writing, I have also thought about science writing. 

All pictures were uploaded with permission from Meryl.