In honor of Cinco De Mayo I wanted to find a Mexican themed dish that would be easy to assemble in a college dorm. Chips and dip are hard to pass up in any situation, especially on a day we should celebrate by eating Mexican food. This Mexican Dip (recipe from The Healthy College Cookbook) will be perfect for a mid day snack, or just to accompany a Mexican themed dinner.
All you need is:
- 1 can (16 ounce) refried brans
- 1 cup low fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa (I recommend using chunky salsa, watery salsa will make the dip soggy)
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 tomato diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, optional
1. Spread beans evenly in a small casserole dish.
2. Mix together the sour cream and taco seasoning
3. Spread evenly over beans. Top with salsa.
4. Spread cheese, tomato, and cilantro. Serve at room temperature