This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hello fashionistas!

One of the best fashion staples for spring and summer is a maxi skirt – plain and simple or patterned and colorful. Can you think of a more flattering, comfortable and fashionable wardrobe piece? I didn’t think so! And not only are maxi skirts stylish, but they’re also versatile! You can wear a maxi skirt with virtually anything and it will look put-together. Get the most out of your maxi skirt this spring by becoming inspired by these six ways to style a maxi skirt!

Maxi Skirt + Oversized Shirt

Want an laid-back and stylish way to style your maxi? Try pairing it with a light oversized shirt! The oversized shirt will create the perfect contrast to the feminine skirt. You could even use a graphic or concert tee for a bolder contrast! Mixing styles is a fashionista’s forte – play around with your oversized-tee options! As an added style element, try mastering the front tuck with your oversized tee – loosely tuck the front of your tee into your maxi skirt! 

Maxi Skirt + Crop Top

The beauty of most maxi skirts is that the waistband is adjustable – you can pull it up to create a high-rise skirt or roll the waistband over to create a lower waistline. With either of these maxi skirt length options, a crop top would look fabulous. Depending on how you style your skirt, you can either show very little midriff, or show off a little more. A crop top paired with a maxi skirt is perfect for any spring day – and it also transitions perfectly into summer-wear! 

Maxi Skirt + Chambray

A chambray never fails to deliver when it comes to perfect style pairings! Try wearing a chambray – with the front tied, tucked in with a belt, open with a tank, or simply buttoned  – with your maxi! Roll the sleeves to create an easy-going look! You may be wondering what type of maxi would look good with a chambray: the answer is anything! Patterned, plain, or pleated, any maxi will look great with a chambray! Give this springy look a try! 

[pagebreak]

Maxi Skirt + Summer Sweater

Even when spring and summer nights get cool, you can still wear your maxi skirt! Just pair it with a light summer sweater! You will be warm, comfortable and stylish! When thinking about summer sweaters, think loose-fit and light fabric – this will keep your look within the season’s style. Just like the over-sized tee, tuck the front of the sweater into your maxi to add an element of style. 

Maxi Skirt + Denim Vest

Go for a super chic look by pairing your maxi skirt with a denim vest! Personally, I love the look of a simple maxi, a loose tank and a denim vest, all dressed up with a bit of jewelry. The vest adds dimension and interest to the outfit! A maxi skirt with a denim vest is perfect for those outdoor spring and summer events – concerts, picnics, bonfires – because it is both stylish and comfortable! 

Maxi Skirt + Scarf

Another one of my favorite looks with a maxi skirt is with a simple tank and a scarf! Scarves aren’t just for winter, my dear fashionistas! There are plenty of light fabric scarves that are perfect for spring and summer. They also come in a multitude of colors and patterns, so find the right summer scarf that best fits your personal style! The scarf adds style interest to the top half of your body while the maxi adds interest on the bottom. The scarf and maxi balance each other out nicely! 

If you haven’t already, I would recommend investing in a maxi skirt for this spring season! They are extremely versatile and stylish – the perfect fashion staple! I hope you are inspired by all of the options maxi skirts have to offer! Try out your favorite look(s) this spring! 

Stay fashionable, Oles!

Cover, w/ oversized, w/ crop top, w/ chambray, w/ summer sweater, w/ denim vest, w/ scarf

Kate Roy is a junior, Psychology and Dance double major at St. Olaf College. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus St. Olaf, she enjoys writing, editing, and helping her fellow Oles get their voices heard. Kate is involved in CompanyDance, the modern dance company at St. Olaf. In her free time, Kate loves to spend time with friends, listen to music, browse Her Campus, flip through fashion magazines, and eat chocolate.  Kate is a fashionista and has a passion for all things dealing with fashion. She works at Madewell, and enjoys getting experience in the fashion world. Kate headed the Her Campus St. Olaf College style blog, StO-Style (now Snapshot), for the 2013-2014 school year. She loved this position and hopes to continue her fashion writing in the future. Kate is extrememly excited to share the position of Campus Correspondent for the 2014-2015 school year and expand her involvement with St. Olaf's Her Campus Chapter.