Finals Week Study Spots Other Than T. Coop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

If you can relate to finally convincing yourself to go to the library, only to find out all of the cubicles are full or having a headache from the harsh artificial lighting, then these alternative study spots might be a better option. Sometimes, a new setting is just what you need to re-motivate yourself. 

Cool Beans 

If you need a lively atmosphere to be productive, then Cool Beans is a good option. It has plenty of tables to study with friends or on your own. You don’t have to go far to take advantage of this study spot because it is conveniently located right off the horseshoe. Another perk is it stays open until midnight, perfect for a late-night coffee fix. 

Richland Library 

The Richland Library located on Assembly Street is an underrated study spot. It provides a peaceful study environment with plenty of natural lighting. If you need a study break snack, check out the new Café operated by the same chef as the former Rise Bakeshop in Five Points. This off-campus option is a good alternative to Thomas Cooper because it has all of the perks of a library minus the extra business during finals time. 

Indah Coffee Co. 

Columbia has plenty of coffee shops to choose from, but Indah makes the list because of its relaxed environment and quality coffee. The coffee shop is tucked far enough away to feel like you’ve escaped the craziness of campus. Also, there’s no better way to treat yo’ self than to a handcrafted latte. 

The Horseshoe 

Spring days in Columbia are irresistible and it’s reasonable to find yourself wanting to break free from a boring desk inside. Pack a blanket or Eno and spend some study time on USC’s horseshoe. People watching could be a distraction, but other than that, it’s a fun alternative to the library. The horseshoe is also the best spot if you need to take a quick nap or go for a walk to refresh your mind. 

The library does provide a most distraction-free atmosphere, so it’s understandable if you end up spending some all-nighters there. But, if you are looking to change things up, try one of these new study spots.  

Kenna Coe

South Carolina

Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.