Why Kim Kardashian Getting Robbed Is Still A Big Deal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Seeing Kim Kardashian in the headlines is not a new phenomena, but I was shocked when a headline about her read that her hotel room had been broken into and she had been tied up and robbed at gunpoint. News sources and gossip blogs alike all seem to be covering this topic, despite their usually different topics. Everyone seems to have shared an opinion about this on their preferred social media outlets, even though most of the time nobody has asked for it, and the standpoint I’ve seen more than I’d like to is that there are more important things going on in the world.

Now, I’m the first person to want to discuss serious world issues going on, no matter how casual the setting is (normally, the more casual the better) but saying that are more important world issues than Kim Kardashian being held at gunpoint, fearing rape or murder, is like telling a cancer patient it could be worse because they’re not starving in Africa. Which, yeah, both are horrible things, but comparing negative apples to oranges serves absolutely no purpose. Actually, people have been saying a lot of negative things about Kim Kardashian lately, serious robbing aside. Ever since Kim posted a nude selfie in March, she’s been receiving a flood of negative comments about her body, family, and life in general. While she is living the life of the rich of the famous, it doesn’t mean she deserves to receive the judgement of her 48.5 million Twitter followers.

It’s easy to get caught up in the misogyny of Hollywood; we’re taught to hate these women who we’re also supposed to want to be. Will any of us ever win? Instead of spending our time envying Kim Kardashian for her body, her money, and her life style, shouldn’t we encourage her? Instead of blaming her for being robbed because of her jewelry, shouldn’t we support her after a horrific event? So many of us preach for a feminist community that supports other women but forget it when we’re given 150 characters and freedom of speech. Isn’t it our job as feminists to make the world a better place for all women?

And maybe you’re reading this article and you’re thinking to yourself: Well, I’m not a feminist at all, and to that all I have to say is: rethink your life decisions.

Kylie Walker is a senior at Sonoma State University studying creative writing & women's and gender studies. She balances school with napping as much as she posssibly can. She enjoys petting animals and radical feminist theory. She sometimes writes about things other than politics or feminism, but rarely.
Contributor account for HC Sonoma