This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

This week, as impending routine welcomes us into the spring semester, we are all readjusting to campus life. With that, I feel once again called upon to pose some questions to any procrastinator reading this article in hopes of getting some answers about our dear sweet school.

Courtsey of  smudining.com

1. Why do you insist on renaming the the dining halls?

It’s not Lee. It’s Umph. It’s always Umph to every person who eats there. Point to the building between Virginia-Snider and McFarlin Auditorium and any undergraduate will tell you “that’s Umph.” Please stop trying to pointlessly change the student body’s vernacular. Just give up.

2.Who set the hours?

For the most part, I’m asking about Mac’s Place. A delight to many, Mac’s Place is both a place to get snacks and a meal-swipe friendly eatery. It’s marketed as the late-night on-campus food options because most nights, it stays open until midnight.

You know when it closes at 10 p.m.? Friday and Saturday nights. When the majority of campus residents are out and about and in need of late night food, the theoritcally convient late night food place is closed. Why? Do you not want to win favor with the student body? This seems illogical.

Courtsey of dallasobserver.com

3. How much does SMU make off of meal plans every year?

Now that both sophmores and freshmen are required to live on campus AND have the unlimted meal plan, it has to be a lot. For large portions of the day, neither dining hall is serving meals, so it’s not like there is really an unlimted amount of meals avalible. I do not understand dining services.

My subquestion here is why do sophmores have to have an unlimited meal plan? They know how much they eat and typically, they’re pretty over the weird selection of tapas and experimental meals the dining halls have in their rotation. It just seems unfair to not give them slightly more freedom than the first-years.

Because eating is an important issue to us all, I’m sure this #WhySMU will evntually have a part two. For now, I hope this gives you all some food for thought (lol).

Hannah Claire Brimelow is a Junior at Southern Methodist University, majoring in English and Communication Studies and minoring in French. After her December 2016 graduation, Brimelow intends to continue on to law school and, eventually, work on international adoption policy and children's rights issues. When not writing for Her Campus SMU, she enjoys traipsing around around the world and pretending she's a Texas native.
We are the SMU Team.