Relay for Life Co-Chairs: Kayla Klingseisen ’12 and Megan Marchant ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

On Friday, April 13th, SMU’s Relay for Life will celebrate the lives of people who have battled cancer, remember loved ones lost, and fight back against the disease.  This event is unique to SMU as the entire student body participates.  Her Campus SMU asked co-chairs Kayla and Megan, who have been busy planning since last summer, about their involvement with the event.

How did you get involved with Relay for Life?
Kayla: I got involved with Relay For Life because when I visited SMU my senior year in high school, I saw the event going on.  Seeing all the students gathered together on the Boulevard made me choose to attend SMU. Then when I started at SMU, I kept an eye out for applications for the board, and I have been involved with planning Relay For Life ever since.
Megan: I have always been passionate about community service and once I heard about Relay For Life freshman year I applied for the board sophomore year and have been involved ever since.

What is you favorite thing about Relay for Life?
Kayla: My favorite thing about Relay is twofold. First, I love that it brings the entire campus together, and for such a great cause. Second, I love seeing all the survivors at the event.  The survivors are the reason we Relay, and having them attend the event means so much to me. They are so strong and admirable, and I greatly value them.
Megan: My favorite thing about Relay is seeing all the different groups of people at SMU working together to put an end to cancer. It is so encouraging to see how passionate other students are in trying to put an end to this awful disease. Each year our goal is that Relay For Life unifies the SMU campus so I hope to see that again this year.

What other things are you involved with on Campus?
Kayla: I am also a member of Pi Beta Phi, the Union, and Alpha Lambda Delta.
Megan: I am also a member of Pi Beta Phi, the Honor Council, and Alpha Lambda Delta.

Can we expect anything different at Relay for Life this year?
The biggest change this year, something we have been working towards, is more diversity of SMU students at the event. It is important to us as chairs that everyone knows about Relay For Life and everyone feels welcome to attend. Cancer obviously does not discriminate, and everyone knows someone who has been affected by cancer.  Thus the event should represent all the organizations and students at SMU.

How can people get involved with Relay?
Register online at www.relayforlife.org/smutx and 

Caroline Wright, a double major in Business Marketing and Communication Studies at Southern Methodist University, is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus Team. Although a St. Louis native, she has enjoyed becoming a true Texan in spirit over the past two years! She has been employed by a variety of companies including Kate Spade New York, NBC Universal Pictures, Brynn Bagot Public Relations, Rent the Runway, and Nordstrom. Caroline is currently Social Chair for her sorority Kappa Alpha Theta as well as serves on the Board of SMU's Student Foundation.