Neon in Your Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Most of us have neon clothes tucked away somewhere in our closet that are torn and overused from the countless themed parties. Within the drawer, you may find a neon sorority hat or tank top, maybe some sporty shorts and tube socks, but nowadays, neon is taking a turn in fashion. A new and upcoming fad, neon pants, shorts, and tops have become a new staple item in every fashionable women’s wardrobe. Yet, most of us only know how to wear our loud, bright ensemble to 70’s themed parties, so how do we incorporate neon into our everyday attire?

Two of my favorite additions to my closet in the past couple weeks have been a pair of bright pink cutoff shorts from Victoria Secret and a pair of lemon colored pants from Madewell. When matching neon pieces of clothing, you must utilize your plain colored items to counterbalance the loudness. Especially with neon yellow, look to white and grey graphic tees to compliment. Be wary and careful of matching neon colors with black considering it can look a little too drastic and contrasting, rather than complimenting. With pastel orange, try pairing a white tshirt with a jean button down over it. The rustic fade will add a look of texture to the outfit. For bright colored pants and shorts, look at major brands like J Brand, Current Elliot, and Rag and Bone. To find cheaper versions of these brands, look at stores like H&M, Urban Outfitters, and Madewell.

Take your wardrobe to the next level with neon accessories and tops! Putting on a pair of bright colored ballet flats completely modernizes your simple look within minutes. Additionally, finding neon jewelry, such as a neon-crystallized necklace, takes a little black dress to a whole new level. To find neon clutches and purses, look to Rebecca Minkoff. Her purses are the perfect accessories to brighten your outfit for these new spring days. Pair a neon pink clutch with royal blue jeans and tan gladiator sandals. Pair of lemon lime yellow form fitting dress with cream-colored wedges. For blouses, make sure that you choose neon tops that are made from high-end materials, like silk. If you choose a lower end material, you’ll look cheap rather than high fashion.

Add to your bucket of neon frat tank tops and start looking at neon as more than just a go-to for raves and as a way to keep your wardrobe fun and lively in the spring.

Caroline Wright, a double major in Business Marketing and Communication Studies at Southern Methodist University, is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus Team. Although a St. Louis native, she has enjoyed becoming a true Texan in spirit over the past two years! She has been employed by a variety of companies including Kate Spade New York, NBC Universal Pictures, Brynn Bagot Public Relations, Rent the Runway, and Nordstrom. Caroline is currently Social Chair for her sorority Kappa Alpha Theta as well as serves on the Board of SMU's Student Foundation.