How Comfortable is Too Comfortable?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

In true Carrie Bradshaw fashion, Carrie simply sums up every girls view on the perks of being in a relationship, “Monogamy is fabulous. It gives you a deep and profound connection with another human being, and you don’t have to shave your legs as much.” Girls have an unfortunate habit of loosening the reins once we get that title, meaning the makeup comes off, the hair goes up, and the sweatpants become a staple item of our wardrobe. Before we know it, our boyfriends are secretly thinking where did my sexy girlfriend go?

Getting to the point where we let our guards down is a huge feat, especially if you’re like me where it takes countless nights of smeared mascara on your sheets to finally pull out the makeup remover. Ultimately, if the guy your with is a keeper, he’ll love you no matter what and actually take the signs of you feeling more at ease around him as cute, but don’t use that as an excuse to let go of all self control. When you guys are lounging around at home watching a movie, obviously your hair in a sloppy bun and some lulu’s are acceptable, but when your online shopping in class and realize you are focusing more on buying baggy t-shirts, rather than little black dresses, you’ve crossed the line. When you go more than one week without shaving your legs, you’ve crossed the line. When he asks if your hair is wet because it is so greasy, girlfriend, you have crossed the line. Make sure to slip into something sexy every once in awhile when you go to bed. Surprise him with a full face of makeup and your hair done for one of your cozy nights. Wear a new, trendy outfit to class and for a late lunch date with him. Mix up your makeup every once in awhile with a blue eyeliner or red lipstick. Challenge yourself to take risks with your hair, makeup, and wardrobe. Not only will this keep your confidence up, but it also will keep your boyfriend in awe.

A sense of comfortability and belonging is one of the main benefits of any relationship, but make sure not to manipulate it into being a justification for laziness.